Sixty-Three...Truth...

Sixty-Three…Truth...

I found it hard to sleep that night and was therefore up, dressed and ready for the day, albeit rather tiredly, before dawn. Troilus asked if I wished to break fast in the chamber below half of me wanted to refuse, desperate not to see Cei until Ector had been spoken to, the other half of me wanted to march brazenly into the hall, daring him to disapprove. I voiced such opinion to Troilus, explaining that I felt that if I remained within my own chambers I would be showing Cei a womanly weakness that did not reflect the rest of my personage.

            Surprisingly the knight understood and suggested that I went to the meal but that we would go to Ector first, for he was always up early as he enjoyed a pre breakfast walk with his hounds about the village. Thus the pair of us went in search of the lord and found him just venturing out.

            ‘Good morning!’ he exclaimed jovially, ‘you are up early my dear.’ Then he registered the expressions on out faces and grew grave. ‘What is the matter? Has something gone amiss?’

            Troilus nodded, ‘Sir we would walk with you a while and tell you of a great misdeed that we believe you ought to know of.’

            Pale Ector agreed, ‘come with me now for we shall be out of the earshot of prying people.’

            And so we three and the two hounds went through the gate and on into the town where Ector asked us to elaborate.

            The instant the words left Troilus’ mouth Ector’s face turned from concern to horror as he realised the enormity of his eldest sons planned actions. It was foul indeed for a man of honour to attempt to force himself onto a woman but Ector, although I did not know it then, was well aware of the future of mines and Arthur’s relationship and was disgusted that his elder son should force himself on his brother’s future wife.

            Ector was momentarily speechless before apologising over and over, whilst I protested continuously that he had nothing to apologise for, but that it was Cei who needed to reprimanded and reminded of true gentlemanly behaviour. His father agreed with me completely and was truly horrified by his son’s actions. Thus Cei was paid a visit by Sir Ector the moment we returned and was forbidden from attending the meal that morning. No one questioned his absence perhaps thinking that he was still feeling a little tender due to his fall on the day of our arrival.

            I said nothing to Arthur throughout breakfast and left the hall in Troilus’ company without awaiting the prince. Within a very short time a knock came upon my door and as I expected it was he, worried about my subdued nature at the table. I attempted to shrug off his questions but I knew I could not hold back forever, and so nervously I began to tell him of the night’s events. Within moments I found myself restraining him as he made for the door to pursue his brother with the intention of combat.

            ‘No Arthur!’ I exclaimed, letting go briefly to jump in front of him baring the door. ‘He’s not worth it, not like this!’

            ‘Not worth it!’ Arthur thundered, ‘he intended to defile you Nimue! He must be punished!’

            Placing my hand behind me I locked the door from the inside, slipping the key into my pocket without him seeing as to ensure he stayed within my chambers. His rage, I worried, would lead him to regretful actions and I was not surprised by this.

            ‘Listen to me Arthur,’ I commanded calmly, ‘I aggravated him and so he tried to get revenge, I will not be so stupid again.’

            ‘Aggravated?’ he exclaimed, ‘Ha! Cei has never needed hatred as an excuse to destroy a woman’s reputation!’ I felt sick again, how many girls had the young nobleman taken unwillingly, and how old had he been when this had all began? I dared not think about how many lives he had already ruined.

            ‘Arthur, peace, I beg of you. Sir Ector has reprimanded him already and he is to formally apologise to me this evening afore dinner, your father said as much to me in private just prior to breakfast. Do not let your anger rule you.’

            ‘He attempted to take you Nimue, he cannot be forgiven.’ Arthur answered aggressively.

            I swallowed hard, not knowing how to placate him. ‘Arthur, please,’ I begged.

            He paused and then looked at me with a curious expression of pain, ‘you would not have consented if he had approached you with good manners would you Nim?’ his tone was fearful.

            I stepped back, disgusted by the suggestion, ‘Never!’ I exclaimed in horror, ‘not only does your brother’s attitudes offend me but his entire character repulses me! Without Troilus he may well have succeeded, but only by brute force and I would have died of shame after it or lived life wallowing in disgrace and depression at the thought of his hands on me!’

            Arthur’s face visibly relaxed a little but his anger at his brother was far but gone. ‘I shall see that he learns from his folly,’ he simmered, ‘anyone who dares attempt to touch you without your wilful permission shall be dealt with as if they have harmed the king himself,’ he paused, and added more quietly, ‘because Nimue; there is no one so dear to me as you.’