Chapter 34

Mia

I watch as Archer walks out to his death.

I want to run out there. I want to slap that bomb away from his hand and save him. I want to tell him that it doesn't have to end this way. He doesn't have to die.

But I can't stop the hatred he has for Evelyn.

I saw it in his eyes. The pure hatred he has for this woman. The lengths he's willing to take to kill Evelyn is unstoppable. After all that she has done to him, I can't blame Archer for wanting this woman dead.

And I still will never know all that she has done to him.

He will never tell me, and for once I'm not upset. As I watch Archer and Evelyn standing face to face, there are numerous emotions running between the two. Evelyn wrecked him; tore away his humanity, tortured him, made him kill his own, and so much more that only they know. Archer shared to me what he wanted to share, what he mentally could share, and now is his time for revenge on the woman who tore him apart.

"When he sets that bomb, we need to run."

I glance at Tami, and we make eye contact. From our years together in the dome to now, things have changed. Will I be able to forgive her for what she's done to Archer and I? I'm still trying to figure that out. I've already been loosing friends; first Lydia, possibly Casper, and more than likely, Archer.

Archer.

The first boy I've met. The boy who I've hated and loved all at once is now facing his death, and I'm hiding in the woods letting it happen. What makes me think I could ever live without him?

He must know what's running through my mind. He must know how much I don't want him to do this, how much I love him.

Right?

If he did know, maybe he wouldn't be doing this. He wouldn't be facing his own death knowing that I'm watching. He wouldn't be that oblivious to the fact that he kissed me for a reason, that I kissed back for a reason.

No. He knows that. All of it.

Evelyn is the problem. She's the one standing in our way, and that can't happen anymore. Evelyn is the one who triggered the bombs when he was near. She played Archer well, really, using him to destroy the Alliance.

Evelyn; my dome mayor, Archer's enemy, wrecked us both.

I try to stand up but Tami shoves me back down, her eyes focused on Archer and Evelyn. It takes all my willpower not to go out there and stand by his side, but Tami would not let that happen, and neither would Archer.

"Casper and I are going to get a head start. He's losing blood-" Adam's words come in one ear and out the other. I turn and watch as Adam guides Casper to his feet. Adam almost has to drag him as they walk away. Casper looks back, his eyes fixed on Archer, and I see his saddened expression on his face.

"We could leave too-"

"No!" I almost shout at Tami. It's what we should be doing really, moving farther away from the bomb, but I can't get myself to leave. Maybe part of me is hoping for the miracle of Archer walking off without a scratch. Tami nods in understanding, and that surprises me a little. I don't question it though, I turn my head right back to Archer and Evelyn.

They are talking in low voices, too quiet for me to hear. I see him tightly gripping the bomb in his hand, ready to turn to switch. Evelyn seems oblivious to the fact that Archer is going to kill her in minutes with her own weapon. She stands there, a smirk resting on her face as she looks at Archer.