Chapter 25

Mia's POV

"We can't just leave him out there."

I look out the window from my room and still see Archer's shadow. It's dark out, it's almost ten o'clock. He's sitting at a bench, looking out at the fence.

"Well, good luck getting him past Dave."

I look over at Lydia, and can't help but smile. She's right, Dave's been very careful with keeping Archer away from the large group and the buildings.

I feel bad for him, really. He's probably pretty cold, and bored, by himself out there. I gaze out the the window and think to myself.

"Well, if Dave won't let him in, I'll just go out."

"Mia-" Lydia grabs my arm, but I shake it off. "Mia, I heard what happened yesterday. He could hurt you-"

"He won't." I say, and she looks at me strangely. "And how do you know that?"

"Because," I say, "if he doesn't kill me this time, we'll be even." I smile, and all Lydia does is shake her head at me.

***

Archer has his eyes on me right when I open and close the door. It's almost as if his blue eyes are glowing in the dark. I have a long walk till I get to him, so this is is quite awkward. I'm smiling at him, but I don't know if he can even see my face. He doesn't react much, which means he isn't scared or anything, which is good.

"Hey." I finally say, and he looks up at me.

"Hey." He says.

"Thought you could use some things." I set down a bag of stuff. I brought a little tent, some blankets, and one of my biggest sweatshirts for Archer. Immediately, he grabs the tent and starts to figure out how to put it up. I let him do it, mostly because I think he just wants to do something-anything, than just sit here. I watch at how focused he is as he puts it up. I hand him my sweatshirt.

"Thanks." He says while putting it on. I smile.

"Mind if I hang here for the night?" I ask. He looks at me strangely for a moment, then nods. I go in the tent and spread the blankets out. I set some lamp flashlights on the floor. Archer follows me in, his hood over his head so far it covers his forehead.

We both sit down; me crosslegged, and Archer wrapping his arms around his knees, staring st the floor.

What do I say?

We used to be able to talk all the time. We never ran out of things to talk about, it seemed.

I wish I could ask him about when he was taken. Both times, actually. By the government and by the mayors. I don't know what they did to him. I can tell they starved and beaten him, but I can only tell by his physical appearance. He won't say a word about it, and I guess I can't blame him.

Talk to him Mia. Dammit, just talk to him!

I don't know what to say. What can I say? Hey,I heard they shot your sister in front of you, sorry! Or hey, I know you don't want to talk about it, but how did Evelyn beat you?

I wish he would tell me-anything. But I don't think he's going to talk at all. His eyes are fixed on the floor, his hood covering half his face.

I hate myself for not being able to talk to him. I could say anything. I could talk to myself, even. Something to fill this silence. Anything to keep my mind off things.

"Usually it's the girls who wear the boys hoodies."

My head shoots up and looks at Archer, who has his dashing blue eyes right on mine.