~chɑptєr twօ~

I laughed at the small DVD player in front of me and my sister.

We were watching Twilight and laughing at how stupid it was. I will say that I'm a sucker for the books, but the movies are so full of horrible acting and failed dramatic scenes that it's nearly impossible not to find it completely hilarious.

Lily agrees with me on pretty much every topic. Unlike most sisters. I may act like I don't like her, but in truth, I'm thankful for her. She reminds me that I'm not the only one like me. That there are other people who spend as much time thinking and observing as I do.

When the movie goes off, I turn off the DVD player and leave the movie in. We will probably watch it again on our way back home in two weeks.

Two weeks is a really long vacation in my opinion. The longest vacation I've ever been on lasted only one week, when I was seven years old, now I'm sixteen. Lily was only five. I barely remember that trip, all I know is that we went to Gulf Shores, Alabama. Every other vacation I've been on besides this one has only lasted four days.

My dad's job didn't provide him with very many vacation days, until recently he was promoted. He is now some sort of manager. I don't really understand what he does, but I know he works at a Honda dealership.

You'd think having a dad that works with cars would mean I'm a good driver, right?

Wrong.

I'm horrible. I've failed the driving test twice already. I didn't even get my learners permit back when I was fifteen.

I turn seventeen in three weeks. I'm pretty excited, really just because I know that means two things.

1) My cousins come into town to visit us.
2) My cousins bring me money.

Since I cannot drive, I don't have a job. Therefore I only get money for chores I do around the house, which isn't much, meaning very little money.

My parents buy me things I need, like clothes. They bought me my iPhone 5c for Christmas. Not having a job truly isn't all that bad, because my parents don't expect me to be able to buy my own things.

I turn my phone screen on to check the time.

4:45.

I'm not sure whether or not to be happy to get out of this truck, or disgusted that soon I will be forced to mingle.

I'm honestly surprised my parents aren't making me wear a t-shirt that says 'Single and Ready to Mingle' across it. I won't be surprised if they pull one out of that giant suitcase they packed.

Lily noticed the time at the same time I did, so she proceeded to ask how long until we arrive.

My dad said in an airplane pilot voice, "We will be arriving at Panama City Beach, Florida in approximately twenty-five minutes. Enjoy the rest of your ride."

I laughed along with my family even though I found my dad's so-called humor to be extremely cheesy. I think the fact that it's so not funny is what makes me laugh.

I begin gathering my stuff together and instruct Lily to do the same. By the time all of our car-stuff is back in the bags that they started out in, my dad is parking the truck in the parking deck of a nice hotel.

I can't help but wonder how we afforded such a long vacation at such a nice place, but I know better than to ask about money.

I step out of the car and take a deep breath. I can smell the ocean from here and no matter how unappealing vacation with my family sounds, I don't think anyone can resist the ocean.