~chɑptєr thɪrtєєɴ~

By the time we reached the parking lot to the nearest water park that wasn't completely covered with crazed tourists, many of my favorite songs had come on, and with each song I found myself growing more and more comfortable with my voice even in front of Hayes.

Normally I wouldn't even sing in front of my sister, but Hayes didn't make me feel uncomfortable with myself. If anything, he made me more confident.

Hayes laughed each time I would get a lyric wrong and I would blush but I didn't really care. It was fun, and that's something I don't experience a lot.

Fun. What is fun? Everyone had their own version of what fun means to them. To me, fun is being comfortable and not self-conscious. Letting go and enjoying myself. I don't do that nearly enough and I know that. Probably why I don't have many friends.

Friends these days, in this society, are made not by personality or anything like that. Friends are made by reputation.

How do you think cliques are formed so quickly in high school? Teenagers gravitate towards other teenagers with reputations resembling theirs.

Jocks hang with jocks, because their reputation is being a jock. Nerds hang with nerds because of their reputation of being nerdy.

If friends were made simply by personality, then we would have jocks with a nerdy best friend, or a group of strong buff guys hanging with a scrawny nerd, or vice versa.

So really the question is, is it really a bad thing that reputation decides friendships. The way it works, even people with nasty personalities end up somewhere, with some group of people.

If it were based on personality, then the most unique people, might have no one. They would end up the ones being picked on by the people with personalities most similar to others.

"What are you thinking about, Liz?" Hayes interrupted my philosophical thinking.

"Society." I answered with a sigh.

"Ah. My favorite thing to think about." He smirked.

"Well it's certainly one with lots of sub-topics." I laughed.

"Oh definitely! Society isn't just one thing, it's millions!" His eyes were growing wide with wonderment.

He loves this. Talking about things that interest him.

"So just what do you think the biggest issue with society is then?" I smiled. I liked the way his face lit up with this discussion.

"There are about a million answers to that question." He sideways glanced at me.

"Yes but my question was directed at one answer." I called him out.

"Alright. Then I think the biggest problem in society, is simply that every person in the world blames society for everything, when in reality, those same people make up society. The person looking for something to blame, is actually blaming their self."

His point is true, and it made me realize that he spends just as much time thinking about these things as I do. The people in the world who see things like him or I, those people make for the best writers or artists.

The people who see the world realistically, are the ones who have the biggest imaginations. Not having to fill your mind with the imaginations of what the world should be like, not what it actually is, gives the mind room to have those creative ideas about whatever else you want.

"What about the fact that everyone sees the world in a different light?" I ask.

"That's simply inevitable. If everyone saw the world the same, then there would be no real reason for humanity to even exist." He answered, obviously lost in his thoughts, same as I was.