Part 20

Jenna’s POV:

We made a stop at Laurie’s, the second restaurant in the chain of Hardies. Ms. Lilian wanted to eat out before taking me back to the home.

And Justin a voice whispered in my head.

After I stormed out of the room, I hid into the girls bathroom until Ms. Lilian coaxed me out. Darien gave most of the evidence to Mr. Odagu who said he would look into it. It didn’t matter anyway. They didn’t want me in the first place. It was just some guilt trip. I spun the straw in the glass, and laid my head on the counter.

“Your not thirsty?” Ms. Lilian rubbed my back.

“No.” I didn’t have the heart to look at her.

“I’m sorry Jenna that this happened this way. I swear if I knew this would’ve gone down the way that it did, I would’ve never-”

“It’s not your fault Ms. Lilian. I needed to go. So I could see what a real home would be like. At least I know I’m not missing out.” I said coldly.

“One day you’ll find a family that truly cares for you.”

“Maybe.” I shrugged. “So did you and Pete sorta... date before?” I figured I’d bring it up now.

“Yeah we did. It was back along time ago, when we were still in high school. See Pete has a problem with commitment and change, so I wasn’t to thrilled with the idea of him being a parent. That’s kinda the reason we broke up. And he hasn’t changed much since.” Ms. Lilian explained.

“I was just curious. he seemed kinda into you.”

“Well the feeling isn’t mutual. Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to talk to Darien about our flight plans for tonight.” Ms. Lilian rolled her eyes and went over to Mr. Darien.

Darien was going to riding the plane with us to make sure I made it home safely. That was the last thing I wanted him to do. But hopefully by the time I get back to Chicago, I won’t ever have to see Darien, or anyone else here ever again.

“Done with your drink there Miss?” I woman’s voice spoke.

“Hey! What are you doing here?” I lifted my head up and saw Neja.

“Was transferred down here a few months ago from Hardies.” I remembered that crazy purple hair from anywhere.

“Oh cool.” slid the drink away from me as she took it.

“So. I’m guessing the reason your here in LA is because of that night in Hardies. Did find what you were looking for?” She asked.

“Yeah I did.” My faced lowered.

“What’s wrong then?”

“I remembered what you said that night. And I did leave with something. It just didn’t work out.”

“Now that can’t true. No matter who came into that bar, color, size, gender, everyone found something that they were meant to be with.”

“Well mine didn’t.” I put my head back down on the counter.

“What happened?” she started wiping the countertop

“The thing or people rather, lied to me. I realized that even if I was somewhat happy here, I would only be miserable in the end.”

Neja stood there and listened while she worked. She didn’t say anything for a moment, and then she left. She came back with what looked like a coin in her hand and gave it to me. It looked to be made out of gold, and older than me. What really caught my eye was the calligraphy engraved in it.