Chapter 42 - The End

Vin 

I paced about the room; frightful that something was terribly wrong. But no news was good news right? My mind exploded with worry and inpatients. I didn't think it'll take this long. I was half a mind gone with alcohol, thinking that intoxicating myself my settle my anxiety. It didn't, it really didn't.

I could hear her screaming and crying from the room upstairs, it was life knives digging a mine into my heart and tearing out chunks of me. As I was raised an only child, I've never witnessed someone giving birth, nor have I ever experienced or been told about it before today. But I was well aware about things such as stillbirths and miscarriages. The thought of Rey bleeding to death with our limp infant in her arms was too much to bare.

I moved around the room so rapidly it was like a crazed dog that had been forced in a cage too long. That's how I felt. Caged. If something goes wrong, I could do nothing. If she needs help up there, I can do nothing. If she starts bleeding, I could do nothing. I was useless, unneeded. Upstairs she had a room full f people to help her, and I was locked down here in my study. She didn't need me. The child didn't need me. Yet. If it ever did. Even then, I can't feed it with my body; it's not me it knows on instinct. I was just the father. And what did that even account for?

I finally slumped down, heavily, into a chair. Burying my head in my hands, and finally letting antic override me. My foot tapped on the floor in a nervous tattoo. My eyes dripped with unmanned tears of shear terror of what may or may not happen. Be happening. Useless, useless, useless.

The door opened and I didn't even wait to hear news, bad or good. I just pushed past and sprinted up the stairway and burst into the room Rey was in. I pushed through the crowd to get to the sweating figure lying in the bed. A wobbly smile lit my lips, she was all right. She smiled tiredly at me and cupped my cheek as I bent at her side. There was a small bundle wrapped at her side. I looked up at her in permission, she nodded and the child was passed to me. I held it stiffly, imagining if I even moved the slightest I might drop the precious thing.

"It's a boy, Vincent." She rasped, "A very strong son, my love. Just like his father."

I stared at the sleeping face in my arms; his thin hair was a golden-red. And his little fists were curled up like ferns. He was so beautiful it hurt my heart. "What have you named him, Reyna?" I asked.

She stroked my hair, "I wanted to name him, Alchemy Oliver James Vincent Silvan. With your permission, of course"

I nodded, "Al, for short. I suppose you'd call a girl Amy if we had one?" I remarked smiling, handing him back to his mother as he clasped onto her breast.

She laughed softly, "Are you pleased?"

I nodded, "Yes, I couldn't be anymore happier than I am right at this moment." I kissed her gently. "Is it not perfect?"

"Yes, Vincent. It's a perfect ending to such a long story. For shame if we don't tell it to them one day."

I blinked, "Them?"

She laughed brightly this time, " Why Vincent? Don't you want to ever try for another one?"

Laughing, and swelling with joy we sat on that bed together. Staying close until we scone to tiredness. Finally, we had a perfect ending. I had a family, I had love. And if that isn't perfect then I don't know what is.