Chapter 16- Masquerade

"There is a cheeky game one plays to get the blood flowing. Along with tease the statue, and blind rutting there is a more greater game. The role of secret identities hidden from us within masked play. Nothing is more arousing than what you could meet next without knowing who or what you're meeting. A wild beast or an unspeakable beauty...."

- Book of Encounters

Vincent 

I felt ridiculous, like a dandy. My mask was bone white; it had a black tricorn connected to it. My sharply tailored dark navy coat was trimmed with gold embroidery and round gold buttons. The snowy neckcloth and shirt contrasted with the golden threading of my waistcoat. My dark breeches where tucked tightly into my gleaming black boots. The world around me was full of masks and glamorous garments. All spinning around as the dances. The dance of the lemons, I thought amused.

I left mother outside to flirt and mingle with those flesh crawling friends of hers. Though I must admit being part of those whom dress to impress was a surprisingly nice change, I've been here a few moments and have had quite a few masked women. I let out a vain smirk; I decided that for one night I'd let my ego be stroked.

Everyone wore wigs, and classy clothes. I spotted masks of all types; Venetian masks, feathered masks, half masks, full masks, tribal masks, Asian cultured masks, stick masks, Jester- Basically every mask in the world! Worryingly, some masked individuals were hard to identify as man or woman.

I wandered about the room, looking for a certain gypsy woman whom promised to sneak into the party. Pretty soon a pair dressed as highway thieves ambushed me.

"Vincent! Where to you go off dressing like that?" Xavier Cruze's familiar voice echoed beneath the mask. He wore a pointed mask of red, white and gold. A plump feathered hat. And a red cape draping his black entire. False pistols where tucked into his belt.

Emiel Otón wore all over red and gold. He looked like a pretty boy dandy.... as usual. But can't complain, he was my best friend after all. They both are.

"Well, what can I say? The ladies will have it their way for once" We all laughed and happily scurried to where the drinks were being poured.

Rum, ale, champagne and wines. All a man needs to lift the spirits to more braver levels. But bravery can lead to getting slapped, as more than one poor sod found out, but those youngsters have got to learn sometime.

It's funny how the world drains you; I have barely reached five and twenty, yet men that are a few years younger I see as children still. It I had known that the life I left to would extend me to feeling old, I mightn't have left to live it. Yet, I can never regret it. I'd gladly do it all again. Even now I feel so tired of doing nothing of interest; I was shocked to admit that the only thing that seems to brighten my day is when Reyna sees fit to ruin it. It's sickening that life sinks that low that chaos is the only thing that revives it.

Cierra breaths fascination to me but where in God's name is she? I try to spot her in this sea of spiralling women but none spark me as familiar. She stated that she'd wear a bold colour, and a mask of wealth. But still so many details were left untold.

"Wow. Would you look at that?" Emiel said dazed, pointing his false weapon in the direction he gazed.

I turned to see what he was so fascinated by. My breath froze for a moment. Coming down the bold staircase was the most intriguing individual. Like the rest of the room, I simple stared. Only once she reached the bottom their gazes fell away, mine lingered. I barely noticed Xavier telling me he was going off, or that Emiel had spoken some amused remark before giving up on trying to gain my attention and too leaving to find more worthy purpose.