Chapter 38 - Blood Soaked Ground

I groaned, stirring in a heavy daze. My mouth was filled with a metallic taste, it was putrid. I looked around for some water to clean out my mouth with but there was nothing around. I frowned, this wasn't my room. The space was too white, and pretty. It looked like servants quarters. The air smelt like smoke, blood and a disgusting overload of jasmine perfume. I defiantly wasn't at my home. I frowned, why was I here? Why aren't I at my house? With my pets, and Toby and...Reyna! Reyna! I shot up in the bed, groaning as a rush of pain hit me. What the fuck happened last night? All I remembered was her screaming for help. And getting shot...but by who?

The soft sounds of crying slowly entered the room, in the doorway I spotted him. "Toby!" He ran up to me and hugged me tightly, sobbing heavily in my arms. "It's alright, it's ok. It's alright, baby, shh. Shh, it's alright, daddy will keep you safe." I murmured, over and over. "Toby, where's mummy? Where's Reyna?" The boy just wept harder and shook his head, "I don't know!" He wailed out. The boys distress brought unmanly tears to my eyes. What happened to her? Where could she be? Is she safe? The thought of something happened to her, that something is out there wanting to hurt her. There would be no life, I'd be all alone in the world. I didn't know how to look after Toby by myself. I don't know what I'd do if my wife and unborn child was stolen from me in this world. "What happened?" I asked the child, still wondering where I was.

Drenched eyes looked up at me, traumatized and scared. "The man came and taken me when I was having a nap, because miss Alma says I should of take one so I could awake when you get home."

I nodded dismissively of his explanation to tiredness, "What man? Who took you?" I looked up as Xavier strolled into the room.

He looked over me carefully, "It was my idea. We couldn't get you safely back to your house, the doctor said we had to keep you here for a few nights. I know you wouldn't have wanted him to stay by himself. Your man, Cedric offered to bring him here."

"Cedric?" I snapped. "Why would he be of any help?" Xavier opened his mouth to say something, but a sudden thump stopped him and he fell to the floor. I tensed in defense as I saw the wretch standing in the room.

"My, my, Vinny boy, you know I'll do anything to help you." His voice was as slippery as a snake. I held Toby tightly to me, ignoring the pain that shot through me. I've had a really shit year so far, I thought to myself. I narrowed my eyes as that bitch slithered into the room.

"Oh, yeah. A real love match. You're despicable playing Xavier like that, he's a idiot for ever having feelings for you, but he's a damn good friend." I sneered.

Tierra just laughed, glaring at me as if her look alone could kill me. I watched them carefully; they were familiar, too familiar to have never met before. Then I realized, they were in this together.

"You're disgraceful." I mutter, revolted.

"Think bout it, Silvan. If we kill you then your mother once again becomes the heir to the fortune, after your child of course. But a pregnancy can always be terminated. You're not worthy of the heir Reyna can provide you." Tierra sneered distastefully. "So, we have to get rid of your little family. Cedric here will marry your mother, and after a year or two she'll fall down some stairs breaking her neck and we..." She looked up lovingly at that cur. "will get the money and house all to ourselves."

"That's fine, but I get to keep this one for a while..." If Toby wasn't on me I would of risen up and strangled that dark hair witch. Karyme just strolled up to the bed. I glared at her and jerked my face away when she made to stroke it with her fingertip.

Toby withered away, frightened by all the strangers in the room. I gripped his hand tightly to make sure he didn't stray from my reach incase they tried to take him. He hid his face into the cushioned pillows at the end of the wide bed. In my lack of focus I allowed my guard to fall, the lax allowed Cedric and a few of his henchmen to enter the room and pin my arms to the bed, tying them down. I yelped out in pain from my bullet wound.  I could no longer reach Toby.