Chapter 35- Creatures

"Man is a creature who walks in two worlds and traces upon the walls of his cave the wonders and the nightmare experiences of his spiritual pilgrimage."

Reyna 

The room was dark, empty, old. Spiders had spun their webs tirelessly in this room. The only light coming from five candles in their stands. They flickered as they almost reached the end of their life. I figure lingered in the corner. My heels softly clicked upon the hard stone floor as I moved closure to see who it was. It had the outline of a man, but not one I knew. The long white gown flowed around me, as if it was made of air itself. My hair was loose and trickled own my body. As I reached the man I blinked as my gaze took in his face. His hair was wireary and black, tied in a que with a green cloth. He looked young, Vincent's age or younger still. He was dressed in an olive green ensemble, only contrasted by his white skirt. His skin was pale, but his jaw darkened with the hint of the first growth of a beard to come. His lips were full, beautiful in a way. His nose was pointed and his brows frowned between a look of defensiveness and weary sorrow. Around his eyes were darkened with red, from tears or lack of sleep I did not know.  But it was his eyes. His eyes were golden, holding that yellow tinge just like mama's, just like Flor's. As I opened my mouth to ask who he was, dark gloved hands smothered my mouth and the man bent down and blew out the candles.

I woke with the tiniest tightening of my hand clutching Vincent's arm. I remained the same as if I was still sleeping, but my heart raced. It wasn't my dream that woke me. That I was becoming clearer of as my body began to stiffen and my brain worked as hard as my heart. I could feel it, even without turned to look, the presence standing by the bed felt like a physical touch.

Fear began to linger in my veins. I fought the urge to turn or let out a whimper. I made my best attempt to appear as if I was still deep asleep, but my hand tightened on Vincent's arm trying to wake him up. But he didn't budge. I could hear it breathing, deep and slow in the room. I slid my hand down Vincent's soft skin to his bare hipbone. Squeezing my hand hard on the firm bone. Vincent made a noise of sleep-infested frustration, and pulled me tightly against his warm body. My head sank into the space between his neck and shoulders, and my arms wound firmly on his back. He still remained asleep, to my frightened annoyance. I heard the sound of dull thumps of steps as the intruder moved about the bed. I clenched my nails into Vincent's back, trying to wake him. When he still refused to even stir I dug my nails in hard, Vin groaned and pushed my arms away. He murmured an annoyed sentence under his breath and pinned my arms between our bodies. I felt his even breath fall a little less deep. For fucks sake wake up! I screamed in my head.

To my horror a dark, shadowed hand reached out, feathering a touch down Vincent's spine. Who didn't seem to like the light touch and rolled over onto his back, leaving me still curled to his side with his arm twined around me. The movement caused the sheets to drop from us, I felt cold air drift over my arms and midriff, making me seek out Vin's heat. The hand reached out again and slowly pulled the covers off us, the sudden coolness made Vincent shift again but not wake. I opened my eyes a sliver, I saw I large shadowy figure standing by our bed, fear leaped in my heart. A shiny object glittered dully in the shadow's hand. A knife? I let out a soft whimper. There was someone in our room, it's barely past midnight, and what can I do? If I show signs that I'm awake would I be killed? Would Vincent be hurt? I was so scared, but nothing scared me more than the fear that this shadow could have reached Toby in the connecting room to ours. A terrified thought bloomed that it might have gone there first.

"Toby..." The name breathed out on a quivering inhalation. At the sound of our adopted son's name I finally felt Vin stir, he moved restlessly as he stretched and gave a soft hum in response.