Chapter 25- Comforts of a Mourning Heart

"A man should never be relied on for comfort or understanding. They only take, not give."

- Book of Encounters

Vin 

She was awake, she didn't even have to move for me to know it, but she was awake. Yesterday was hard, she cried throughout the entire time whilst the house was packed for our departure. She barely even had the energy to dress as formally as she always did; she simply plaited her hair and put on a bland dress that made her look more like a country bumpkin than a wealthy lady.  She barely spoke, barely ate. My once joyful and wrathful wife now a mere ghost of a scrambling mouse running through whispers of echoed memories. I never knew a sibling could hold such worth; then again I am an only child. At night the winds would blow too hot, she'd barely notice and grow feverish.  When I stripped her of her nightgown she lay as a puppet merely changing costume. She lay numbly in my arms as I held her close, our bodies pressed bare together, yet no such urge for her flesh arose.  And whenever she made to rise, I would whisper for her to stay, and that she did. Gently sleeping in my arms as tears dripped restlessly from her eyes. Making them shine like glass. I don't know how long we lay there but my arm began to sting with numbness.

"Rey..." I said softly. I felt her tremble on a repressed shudder, then lift her head up to met my lazy gaze. I lifted my free hand off her back and wiped her eyes with a gentle finger. My other arm stung with sudden relief. "...My arms going numb..." I continued dully.  She simply paused a moment before lifting off my arm to laze next to me. Raising herself off her stomach on her elbows, her pink tipped breast exposed in the stance. Leaning her head on one raised palm, she drew absent patterns in the sheets.  The crisp with blankets settled high on us, evoking us in a pale-whitewashed cocoon. I flexed my wrist and clenched my hand repeatedly until the numbness faded. "She'll be fine. You know, she will." I spoke softly, but the words were still loud enough to be heard clearly. I turned to her, lifting one hand to smooth back the hair in her face.  "She's related to you, how could she not be as strong?" Her expression remained absent, emotionless, cloudy. My words meant nothing, yet I knew she listened to them.

"Reyna...are you thirsty?" Even my throat seemed dry; I turned my head to the small table beside the bed, a jug of clear water, glasses and even some small biscuits. I reached out and poured a glass and took a sip before handing it to her. She looked at me for a heartbeat and then held the glass, her fingers cradling mine, as she drank. I watched her throat move.  Setting the glass back on the table without even a glace towards it, I reached out and cupped the back of her head pulling her to my lips.  The kiss was brief, but enough to see her temporarily distracted. I hugged her to me, feeling her thin arms embrace. As I let her go she rolled to lay on her back, her face intent on the ceiling then on the hands she twisted on her stomach. The sheet covered her from the waist down, leaving her breasts to my view. The small hint of arousal that might have stirred was extinguished by her lifeless look. Reyna sighed, flickering her eyes about the room and raising a hand to twirl her wedding ring around her finger. I moved to lie close to her, letting my head fall to the pillow next to her shoulder.

"She'll be alright?" She said softly, turning her head slightly to rest on the top of mine. "You said that she'd be alright. Can you promise me that? Can you stand by it?"

I looked into her eyes; "I will do everything, everything, in my power to make it so." She nodded, content. Yet her eyes filled with fresh tears the longer she dwelled and lingered on heavy thoughts.  Shakily she raised her arms in a gesture I understood immediately. I lifted myself to lie on top of her; she cradled me as I let her seek comfort. Her skin was warm thankfully.

She placed small kisses on my shoulders, neck and jaw, attempting to regain my attention after I slowly drifted back to a light sleep. I nuzzled her neck, happy to hear her laugh. But she was insistent. I kissed her deeply, lost in passion my hand came to support myself on her stomach. Reyna jolted up, causing me to fall beside her. I saw her face tinge with green before she leapt out of the bed to her chamber pot.  Frowning, I watched as she jerked as her bowls emptied and she vomited.