Promises

"So many big things are coming up, princess!" Michael cheers hugging my waist.

   He and the boys have just found out that they are going to be going on a tour around Australia and New Zealand. Sure, I'm happy for them, but also I'm sad.

   "Yeah, woohoo, Mikey!" I try to say excitedly.

   Michael doesn't notice it and continues to talk to Luke about what's going to happen during this tour. They talk about how their lives are going to change. That's just it, though. Their lives are going to change. They're going to change, too.

   Not a good change. There is no such thing as good change. When you change there's no turning back. I don't want that to happen to my sweet and innocent Mikey.

   "How excited are you?" Luke asks me happily.

   I'm assuming I'm supposed to reply with some really good answer. That's what I do.

   "Oh my gosh! A lot! How could I not?"

   Michael and Luke smile widely at me and scurry off to talk about the tour more. We're still in the hotel so there's a lot of places they could be, but I don't worry so much about that.

   What I worry about is Michael and the boys. The tour and how their fan base will grow. Management will make them into their little guinea pigs. First it'll be their music, then it'll be their outfits, then their personalities. I don't want to see any of them getting ruined under the spotlight.

   I didn't notice Ashton standing at the door until he clears his throat. His face is laced with concern and I start to wonder why. What is he so concerned about?

   "Everything okay?" Ashton asks taking a seat beside me on the bed.

   I nod and sit up to face him. He's wearing his signature bandana and a plaid button up with a tee shirt underneath that has quite a few wholes in it. His dimples pop out as he gives a friendly smile.

   "You look sad or concentrated."

   "Both, I guess."

   "Why, Anna?"

   "Well, this band will change. It won't be 5 Seconds of Summer. It'll be whatever the management wants. You won't be four boys from Aus, you'll be something evil and mean. Its the truth. Look at everyone in Hollywood today. They be changed since when they started," I explain.

   Ashton sets his hand atop mine and smiles at me once more. Its a different smile, though. This smile looks more real and honest.

   "I can't promise you a lot, Anna. I can't promise the other boys will stay the same or that management won't change them. I can promise you this," he says pointing a finger," I will not change. Management won't do shit to me. I'll die before they change who I am."

   "I'm keeping you to that, Irwin," I reply with a small smile.

   In this moment, I realize that Ashton and I have never had a silly conversation. Its only been serious and sad. He's the person that I go to when I need cheering up. I feel bad, but that's what he is.

   The day passes on and Michael barely comes back to the hotel room. The boys are going out for drinks since they found out their good news. I'm stuck at the hotel  watching old reruns of FRIENDS.

   I'm not complaining. I mean, I love the show, but I just wish that Mikey was here to cuddle up to and watch it with me.

   As the show goes on, I get bored. My first thought is to get on Twitter and check what's up on there. I see a lot of questions about Michael. Something about him and being drunk.

   I ignore it and move on to Tumblr. This consumes most of my time until Michael gets back.

   He opens the door and stumbles in. I hear some incoherent words fall from his mouth. Michael holds up in arm in what seems to be a victory pose. He then falls to the ground, but pushes himself back up with the help of me.

   "Princess, I love you. Do you know that?" he asks taking my hair and tickling my face.

   He then caresses my cheek before stumbling away from my hold. I go to grab him again before he falls, but he jerks away from me.

   "I can get to bed by myself," he says holding up his index finger.

   I sigh and let him do what he wants. Michael takes off his shirt, but leaves his pants on. He messes his hair up more while looking in the mirror. I swear I hear something about him being a sexy beast.

   The only thing I can do is giggle and shake my head. Michael finally makes his way to the bed and lays down.

   It takes him about ten minutes to fall asleep. Michael looks so child like. His lips are slightly parted and his hair is in every direction. His eyes flutter while he's dreaming. I just want to lay beside Michael and stare at him.

   "Night, baby. I love you," I whisper kissing his forehead.

    As he sleeps, I start thinking about what Ashton said to me earlier. He promises that management won't change him. I couldn't imagine someone making him be serious and calm when he is the complete opposite.

   I can't imagine someone making Luke stop with the silly jokes and corny puns. I can't imagine anyone making Calum stop with his cheeky comments and sassy remarks. I can't imagine anyone making Michael stop his gaming and his straightening his child like personality.

   I don't know why someone would want to. They're perfect how they are. These boys are unique and special. You don't get that very often.