Chapter 9

Chapter 9

***Jakes POV*

All I remember is a car hitting my truck head on which sent us into a series of events that flew by me and were mixed up here and there. At this point it seems like a dream, but the cold hard hospital bed I’m lying on proves to me that it’s not. The nurses wouldn’t give me any information except that I’ll be ok, and my little sister Kylee is on her way up here with her boyfriend because they were the only ones the EMS team could get ahold of when they found us.

I haven’t seen my little sister Kylee for almost a month now. She was five years younger than me, so she was fifteen now. Her boyfriend Michael was seventeen so he would be the one driving them here. He wasn’t too bad of a guy I guess; he made her happy and treated her good so that’s all that mattered to me. 

I woke up from the drug induced sleep the medical team put me in about forty five minutes ago. Although I didn’t know where I was at first, until I heard the beeping of the monitors they had me hooked up too for so many reasons I can’t remember. I remember when I was younger my mom and I were out doing something on our farm and I fell in a good sized groundhog hole. My boot was stuck and I couldn’t yank it out. Mom told me to stop pulling but me being the ornery shit I was didn’t listen to her and yanked hard enough that I broke my ankle. She brought me to the hospital where they put me in an emergency room and connected me to a bunch of different machines, sort of like I was now. Frankly I didn’t like it then and I still don’t so I found where the IV was connected to me and yanked that out along with a few other monitors in the process.

                “Mr. Murphy,” yelled the nurse running in my room, “What in the world did you do?”

“Well Alice,” I began remembering the name she gave me when I met her for the first time years ago. “I yanked them out, they were getting on my nerves and I didn’t want ‘em in anymore.”

                “Well you have to for your health young man.” She replied coming over and hooking me back up to them. Alice has worked here for as long as I can remember, and she has always been an extremely nice woman. She was somewhere in her fifties now and was going to retire in a few years even though she didn’t want to.

                “I know, believe me Alice I know. But can’t we just pretend they are hooked up?”

                “Sorry Jake but I can’t remember last time I did that with you I almost lost my job.”

                “Good point and I am still really sorry about that, But I have to ask you a question.”

                “I told you before honey don’t worry too much about it. Now what’s this question you’re asking about?”

                “Well I got in an accident with my girlfriend.” I said watching her as her shuffling around fixing the machines suddenly stilled when I said this.

                “Mm-hmm,” She started after me a few moments as if she was choosing her words wisely. “What about it?”

                “Well nobody is telling me anything, and I wonder if you would?”

                “Jake, I’m sorry but I’m not authorized to give you any information. The only person who is would be the doctor and because she’s under the age of eighteen we can’t even give you that information. We can only give it to her parents.

                “But Alice you don’t understand! Her parents abused her and they abandoned her for her brother. I’m the only person she has left besides her best friend’s family. Go ask her and she will tell you that herself, or go check your records because I can promise you that there are some in there of her coming in battered and beat up.”