(3): Fear and Hope

Alpha Justin

Alpha Justin and his mate Echo walk through the camp after this morning, just checking to make sure that everything is in order. They passed the Omega’s tent on the way, Echo giving Noah a bag of fresh food and water. He had taken it but shied away straight after saying thank you. She feels sorry for the boy, every now and then she’ll go over and leave something outside his tent; fresh clothes, food and water, first aid kit, and a few other things over the years.

Walking back across their front yard hand in hand, they pause in front of their house and turn to watch Derek’s friends play a rough game of football, knowing that if it were any other day he would be out there with them. Mucking around and having a good old time with them, even when he’s meant to be learning the ropes to take over he still prefers to be out here.

“We should find him.” Echo finally breaks the silence that they had long since lapsed into.

Alpha Justin looks down at his mate, a gentle look in his eyes. “We probably should.” He agrees with a slight nod.

Turning back to their house they move up the stairs and into the building, closing the double doors behind them to lock the world out and to give them some privacy. Moving through to the kitchen they check around to see if Derek is there, but when they come up empty handed they sigh and move to leave.

“Alpha.” One of the kitchen hands say as they enter the room. “If you are looking for your son, he took a six pack earlier and disappeared down the corridor toward the library.” She says her head bowed respectfully the whole time.

“Thank you Charlotte.” Echo says as she leaves the kitchen and walks down the corridor toward the library, hoping that her son is in there. Alpha Justin follows his mate closely as he placed a hand gently on her lower back guiding her through the library door.

They look at each other with fear before glancing at the chairs near the fireplace to see their son slouched in the one closest to the lit fire. His head pointed in that direction but his eyes unseeing. His parents move forward slowly keeping a close eye on their son the whole time. But to their dismay he doesn’t move and inch.

Alpha Justin moves to his sons side and rests a hand on his shoulder, still the boy doesn’t move. Echo moves in front of her child and knees down peering into his emotionless face, hoping to see something. She meets her mates gaze with a worried one of her own.

“Derek. I’m guessing you didn’t find her.” She says softly gently placing a hand on his knee.

Derek doesn’t move, he doesn’t even blink, and his eyes are dilated and staring off into space. But nothing is going through his mind, it’s just empty.

“Derek.” Alpha Justin says as he squeezes his sons shoulder gently. “Talk to us please.” His voice sounds venerable which is unusual for him because he is the Alpha.

Derek blinks once, his blue eyes slowly coming back into focus.

“Derek.” Echo says hopefully as she notices the only sign of life her son has shown since they came in. “Please. Talk to us.” She pleads resting her other hand on his other knee.

Derek still doesn’t do anything else, until he surprises his mother by taking her hands in his and giving them a gentle squeeze. “She is not in our pack.” Derek breathes out eyes still staring into the fire as it jumps in the heath.

Echo stares at her son wanting to wrap her arms around him and comfort him, but can’t because Derek still has a strong hold of her hands. “It’s alright Derek.” She says instead.

Derek scoffs, it sounds humourless and hallow. “No it won’t.” he finally turns his face to his mother. “I’ve got a pull within my chest, but no mate.” He says sharply.

Alpha Justin grips his shoulder harder. “Don’t be disrespectful Derek.” He warns his wolf threatening to come to the surface to teach his son a lesson.

Derek drops his head. “I’m sorry father.” He sounds broke.

Echo frees one of her hands and lifts her sons chin. “Maybe she belongs to one of our friends’ packs.” She sounds hopeful, trying to cheer up her son.

He looks at his mother, trying to share her hope but coming up empty. “Maybe.” He finally utters.

Alpha Justin knees down next to his son. “We’ll leave for The Snow Eyes Pack tomorrow morning. I’ll put a call into each Alpha and let them know that we’re doing a round.”

Derek looks over at his father. “Thanks.” He says as he stands up and walks away. Out of the library and down the corridor.

Echo looks down at the empty six pack of beers, then back up to her mate. “Do you think he’ll find her?” She asks brokenly.

Alpha Justin wraps his arms around his mate and pulls her into him, resting his head on top of hers. “Hopefully he will. I don’t want to see him suffer.” He says after five minutes of silence.

Alpha Justin and Echo stay like that for a bit longer before they pull apart and sit down on the couch together, the fire in the hearth keeping them warm from the slight chill that always seems to envelope the library no matter how hot it is outside.

Resting his head on the back of the couch, Alpha Justin gazes into the fire as it crackles and flickers in its place. Thoughts about what he should do if his son doesn’t find his mate within one of the other packs runs through his mind, but in the end he keeps coming back to one logical answer. No matter what he tries to think up, it always comes back to that answer.