(10): A Tiny New Friend

Noah wanders through the woods, allowing his senses to take over the smells and sounds of life consuming him, until all he can do is walk in a direction and smile slightly as the sun flickers between the tree tops onto his face.

His knife is gripped tightly in his left hand, he had decided early that he was going to go out hunting as soon as the first rays of the sun showed, that way he wouldn't have to go through another round of torture from Aiden and his group.

So far he's been wandering aimlessly through the woods for three hours, the sun completely in the sky, the animal life full of life as they start their daily routine or sleep for the day preparing for a long night. A soft breeze whispers through the trees, the leaves high above rustling, Noah's brown hair lifting gently within the caress.

Noah is twenty now and still he has seen no sign of his mate, though he knows they are within the pack. But it's either that they are ashamed of him or they are being forced to stay away, Noah believes deep within that it’s the latter but in his mind he believes it’s the first one.

His body reached a point where is just stopped feeling, the weakness taking away his feelings so if something happens Noah just goes with it, not really focusing on much at all. He spends most of his days out in the woods hunting, eating a large amount a day to keep his strength up so that he can survive.

He hasn't eaten today yet; once he got out into the woods he got swallowed up by the beauty of it all and just wandered exploring the twisting tree trunks, multi-coloured shaded leaves, the scurrying creatures as they fled from him. The way the rays of the sun flicker down between the tree tops bathing patches of ground a brilliant glow.

A sound almost like a young animal crying for its mother catches Noah's attention, his head instantly jerking in the direction of the sound like a predators would. His body moves on instinct toward the sound, his stomach growling with anticipation of finally getting something to eat.

His feet move silently through the undergrowth, little critters scurrying quickly to move out of his way, their hearts beating erratically within their chests fearing for their lives, but none of them catch Noah's interest because all of his attention is focused on the crying sound of the young animal.

Reaching the clearing housing the crying animal Noah peers from behind a tree, the sight before him startles him out from behind the tree, the movement catching the young Human girl’s attention. She turns around her puffy red eyes meeting Noah's brown-red ones.

Her head full of curly bronze hair, strands matted to her dirty young face. Bronze eyes peer out flecks of gold catching the sun, she runs a hand under her eyes sniffling before running toward the older boy and throwing herself in his arms.

"Please don't leave me. I'm lost and scared." She cry’s in to his stomach soaking his old shirt.

Noah gingerly wraps his arms around the young girl, his thoughts too confused to think of anything else but comforting the young child. Gently pushing her back he peers into her small face. "What's your name?"

She pushes her hair back with a small hand. "Claire and I am seven." She mutters staring at the Omega's tattered brown shirt.

Noah looks around the clearing. "Why are you here Claire?" He questions looking back down at the girl.

Claire glances up briefly. "I ran away from the Orphanage." 

"Orphanage?" He raises an eyebrow in question. He doesn’t know much about the Human world, but he knows enough to know that being sent to an Orphanage means that she has no one. 

The girl only nods her head, her curly hair bouncing lightly. "Yes, no one wanted me." Fresh tears slip from her eyes.

Noah looks at her a sense of protectiveness washes through his system. "Nonsense Claire, you can stay with me." He never really thought of having another person around while he’s classed as the Omega, but he just can’t make himself leave this girl behind.

Claire looks up a glint of hope in her big bronze eyes. "Really?"

Noah nods a smile crossing his face. "Yes. But...." He trails off his eyes dilating slightly with unease.

Claire peers into his eyes worry and confusion clouding her gaze. "But what?" She stutters in a small voice.

"But there's a few things you need to know about me and the people living here." Noah gestures to himself briefly while meeting the young girl’s eyes.

Claire nods her head. "Does it have to do with those giant animals, I saw earlier?" She wonders in a tiny shaking voice.

Noah raises his eyebrows surprised. "Yea."

Claire just looks back at Noah's shirt. "They scared me, but didn't do anything about me."

Noah pulls her to him in a tight hug. "We're known as Werewolves."

Claire lifts her head. "You can turn into one of them?"

Noah closes his eyes. "Yes, but I've been banned from doing so."

"Why?" She breathes out quietly.

"Because I'm the Omega." Noah says in a defeated tone.

"Isn't that the bottom of the pack?" She says gently.

Noah nods.

"It's alright, I don't mind. As long as you don't leave me." She wraps her arms around Noah's waist.

Noah lets a small smile cross his lips as he holds the girl close. His life finally looking to be better now that he has a companion, even if she's seven and a Human. Walking out of the clearing with her still clutching onto his side he moves to the pond were she can wash up, pulling his spare bag of clothes out of its hiding place lending her one of his clean shirts while hers clothes dry.

                                                                    *  *  *  *  *

That was part 10. Hope it was to your liking :)

Till next week;

SoaringSpirit