(4): Mind Tricks

Noah rubs a hand down his face for the umpteenth time this morning since he’s woken up. He’d forgotten that he doesn’t live at home anymore even though it has been a while, but his mind tricks him each morning. He’s hoping the one day it’ll just stop, that he’ll wake up and remember that he no longer lives at home, that his home is the fabric the covers him at night. His tent that he managed to take with him when he dragged his stuff out of his house.

His mother had been standing over him the whole time he was packing, instructing him to take as much as he could because she was planning on burning the rest, her reason was because she doesn’t want any reminders. When he had picked up the tent she had instructed that he put it back but he only looked at her and walked out of the house, she didn’t do anything to stop him. Besides yelling after him that she was going to get his father to take it off of him.

Well, that never happened.

All the happy family pictures that had been decorating the interior of the house had been taken down, the ones with Noah in them had been folded or cut so he wasn’t present in them anymore. When he had seen this a pang of sadness had stabbed at his heart, the urge to let a stray tear trickle down his cheek was strong but he had pushed it down, telling himself that letting his emotions show now would only enrage his mother …. Or Ruby more.

Since that day so many days ago, he had set up his tent, organised a fire pit out front and pulled some branches from the surrounding woods into make make-shift seats, not too comfortable but there better than the ground. He had also made a fire wood pile behind the first row of trees near his camp making sure that no one could see it. In the tent he had set up an old camp bed he had managed to scavenge from a friend, blankets and a pillow from someone else.

Stealing a knife from an open kitchen window he had felt guilty at first but had shrugged it off, knowing that he’d have to catch his own food. And with the Alpha coming to him the day after his ranking of Omega to let him know that because of his ranking he is prohibited from turning into his wolf he had to find a sharp object to hunt with. So the knife came in handy.

Living life on the outskirts of the camp had its perks. It means that he spends most of his time alone; he didn’t have to go to school anymore either. But being alone all the time meant that he was slowly closing in on himself, locking himself inside himself where it’s safe. No one came to this side of camp that’s why Noah had chosen it, right near the woods edge so he could easily slip away if he wanted to. Guards patrolled past his tent each day and night making sure he is sticking to the rules but other than that they leave him alone.

Until one day a couple of weeks after he had settled in a group of boys his age came over, they started taunting him, knocking him around and laughing. This was how it started just simple bumping’s, but then it quickly escalated into the boys beating him up then once satisfied walking away as though nothing happened. Noah had to quickly adapt to this, knowing that he couldn’t do anything to stop them because he was merely the Omega of the Pack.

After each beating he would stumble or drag himself into his tent were he’d collapse onto the bed in exhaustion and fall asleep for a couple of hours or so. Allowing his wolf to heal him a bit, then he’d wake and walk into the woods to near the border of their territory to a pond that he hand found on one of his hunting trips. There he would wash himself and relax for a bit before heading back to his home.

Pushing himself up off the bed, he reaches over and picks up a t-shirt from the pile of folded clothes under his bed, shrugging it over his head and pulling it down over his body covering the few scattered scars he has gotten he walks to the tent opening and peers out. When he decides the coast is clear he walks out and picks up the knife he left stuck in a log near the tent opening.

The blade is encrusted with dried blood and dirt, he had meant to wash it yesterday but didn’t feel up to it after the Alpha Justin’s mate dropped by, scarring the hell out of him. She stood had stood a comfortable distance from him asking if he was alright, but when he didn’t answer she sighed and gently placed a plastic bag on the ground, straightening back up she had said that it’s got a few things in there that may come in handy.

With that she had smiled softly and walked away.

Walking into the woods Noah grips the blade in his hand tightly, his eyes flicking around the trees he tries to spy any movement but sighs in relief when he sees none. Sometimes the boys hide in the trees waiting to catch him off guard but Noah had quickly realised what they were doing and had taught himself to watch carefully before moving forward.

Walking further into the woods Noah tenses up at the rustle of leave but shakes his head when he catches a squirrel running across the ground. “Nice one.” He breathes out to himself. Continuing forward he catches sight of a small deer behind some trees further up.

Silently walking over to the nearest tree he tenses his muscles preparing himself to strike, under his breath before he strikes he utters. “Happy eighteenth birthday Noah.” The feel of a pull in his chest catches his attention as he lands hard against the animals’ side; it tumbles to the ground with him on it alarmed.

Pushing his knife into the animals’ side straight to the heart he wishes softly to it apologising for what he did, as he withdraws the blade he makes a deal with himself to stay away from the one the pull in his chest is trying to lead him to. Because he knows that they would never be allowed to be together. Unless the parents don’t mind if there child is mated to the Omega. The failer.

                                                 * * * * *

Hi. That was part 4.

Hope it was alright.

SoaringSpirit