Chapter 8 'Doubts'

Chapter 8 'Doubts'

They were all back in the Gryffindor common room after a hearty meal. Their tummies full.

They sat on their favourite couches near the warm fire and waited for all the other Gryffindors to go to their beds. It didn't take long for the others to leave for their dorms as they all were pretty tired.

"Now, we can finally talk with ease! So I didn't really got anything on Malfoy in the train as he came to know I was there...." Harry kept on going with his explanation about what had taken place at the train.

Harry had spent a lot days of the holidays pondering on the meaning behind Malfoy's behavior in Knockturn Alley. What disturbed him and Evanna most was the satisfied look on Draco's face as he had left the shop. Nothing that made him look that happy could be good news.

But to Evanna's slight annoyance, however, neither Ron nor Hermione seemed quite as curious about Malfoy's activities as she and Harry were or at least, they seemed to get bored of discussing it after a few days.

"Yes, I've already agreed it was fishy, Harry," said Hermione a little impatiently after she had heard what Harry had to say about Draco.

"You reckon?" asked Ron.

"Yeah, I do," said Harry. When neither Ron Hermione or Evanna answered, he continued', "Malfoy's father's in Azkaban. Don't you think Malfoy'd like revenge?"

"Malfoy! Revenge? What can he do about it?" Evanna asked. She wasn't sure that Draco would go for something like revenge.

"That's my point, I don't know!" said Harry, frustrated. "But he's up to something and I think we should take it seriously. His father's a Death Eater and..."

Harry broke off, his eyes fixed on the window behind Hermione, his mouth open.

"Harry?" said Hermione in an anxious voice. "What's wrong?"

"Your scar's not hurting again is it?" asked Ron nervously.

"He's a Death Eater," said Harry slowly. "He's replaced his father as a Death Eater!"

There was a silence; then Ron erupted in laughter. "Malfoy? He's fifteen, Harry! You think You-Know-Who would let Malfoy join?"

"Of course! Harry's right Ron! But didn't we already knew about it. Hello ... ring any bells?" Evanna said while lifting up her left sleeve and revealing the mark.

Everybody looked at it with tensed expressions on their faces.

"I mean! You guys didn't realize? What Snape told and this appearance of the mark," she continued.

"It seems very unlikely, Evanna," said Hermione in a repressive sort of voice. "What makes you think that he has replaced his father or taken over his 'job'? Don't forget he is still just sixteen.. well, no he's just fifteen, he's going to be sixteen this year..."

"Okay Hermione! But then will you please explain this," Evanna said pointing towards the mark where the snake had started to slither faster.

"You never know! This might be just a stupid tattoo Malfoy made to look cool in front of his friends," Hermione suggested.

"In Madam Malkin's. She didn't touch him, but he yelled and jerked his arm away from her when she went to roll up his sleeve. It was his left arm. He's been branded with the Dark Mark," Harry said.

"When did we go to Madam Malkin's?" Evanna asked.

"We did. You didn't," Ron replied to her.

"Soo.. what do you think?" Harry asked.