Chapter 30 'He's Back'

Chapter 30 ‘He’s Back’

But her prediction proved wrong when she opened her eyes and the Vanishing Cabinet was still there, unharmed and same as it was before...

“No,” Evanna whispered, shocked, “No! How can it be?”

“Reducto” she tried again and same gust of white smoke came her way and when it eased out nothing had happened to the cabinet.

Evanna fell on her knees, defeated and shaken.

Now what am I going to do? This was the only thing I had in mind!” she thought but even her conscious had nothing to say to her this time.

*

“You’re getting dark circles. Are you sleeping?” Seamus asked Evanna who was busy trying to catch Draco’s attention in the Great Hall but he was too busy playing with his food.

Evanna exhaled and looked at Seamus with her eyebrows raised.

“Yes, you’re right it’s none of my business,” he said, raising his arms in defeat.

“Correct,” Evanna replied curtly and started nibbling a piece of toast.

Suddenly, an idea clicked in her mind, “Hermione, what’s a Vanishing Cabinet?”

“I don’t know much about them but a pair of Vanishing Cabinets will act as a passage between two places. Objects placed in one cabinet will appear in the other. Why are you asking?” Hermione eyed her suspiciously.

“I read the name in a book I was reading in the library a few days ago. And how can you destroy them? Just asking for the sake of general knowledge,” she defended herself.

“I don’t know that. I told you I don’t know much about them,” Hermione stated.

“Oh. Okay.”

Disappointment met Evanna from Hermione as well.

Someone would know how to destroy it,” she thought.

“Look!” Harry pointed at the teacher’s table. “Dumbledore’s back at last.”

And to Evanna’s great joy, there he was, getting seated in his chair and receiving greetings form the fellow teachers seated around him. After a long wait, Dumbledore was finally back at Hogwarts. Evanna’s last hope was back. Her mentor was there, right in front of her.

She looked at Draco who hadn’t dared look up at Dumbledore. Of course, how could he? How can you look at the person you’re planning to kill?

Dumbledore will know the answers to all my queries!” Evanna thought happily.

And she couldn’t control her cheerfulness and excitement anymore and that was why she ran straight to McGonagall’s office after their first class which was potion making.

Evanna caught her breath before knocking at the office door.

“Come in,” came McGonagall’s voice.

Evanna quickly entered.

“Yes?” McGonagall asked.

“I wanted to meet Professor Dumbledore,” she answered, abruptly.

“Why is that?” McGonagall asked, continuously writing on a parchment.

“It’s very urgent.”

“He’s busy right now and doesn’t want to meet anyone. If it’s very urgent you can tell me,” she had finally raised her head from her work.