Chapter 2 'Why'

Chapter 2  ‘Why?’

Evanna wasn’t aware of when she had gone to sleep. All she remembered was waking up with a blurred vision.

She was lying with something heavy on her stomach.

“What could that be?” she thought to herself.

Evanna tried to rub her eyes so she could get the haziness away but her arms felt too heavy to lift up. After a number of tries; she gave up.

She could make out a figure on her stomach which she guessed right away was Crookshanks who had gone to sleep there and on her right side she made out Hermione’s figure who was fast sleep just like Crookshanks.

Evanna felt really confused and she felt like someone was pinching at everything inch of her body and she felt herself go numb.

Suddenly, she felt her left arm burning. It was getting hotter and hotter. The blood pressure in her left arm seemed to increase every second that she was lying there, in her bed. She felt that her veins would burst at any second.

Evanna’s complexion had become paler that she looked as white as a sheet of paper. Her whole skin seemed white except her left arm which was scarlet red. Evanna’s eyeballs had rolled upwards and her lips were white as well.

Evanna heard ear splitting screams which she realized were coming from her own mouth. She tried to stop herself from screaming but the pain which had started to creep around her body was just too powerful. She tried biting her lower lip to stop screaming but it didn’t work and she felt like she could sense something thick in her mouth which could only be her own blood coming from the lip she had cut her teeth into. The heavy feeling which she felt on top of her stomach a few minutes ago was gone.

Her eye sight was becoming more blurred every subsequent that she was lying in that bed and she couldn’t see anything, anymore. She could hear the hissing which was being done by Crookshanks and the hooting of her owl, Snowbell. There was too much noise from everywhere and in addition to that, she couldn’t control her own screams.

Evanna was cold as ice except her left arm which was oven hot and she kept on screaming like she was being cruciod.          

All of a sudden; Evanna heard the voices of her family who were trying to comfort her but the pain was irrepressible like being physically tortured.

“What’s happening? Do something Arthur!” Evanna heard, over the noise, Mrs. Weasley say to her husband with terror engulfing her every word. Evanna didn’t hear any answer from Mr. Weasley or maybe her screams had locked out any voices.

Hermione placed a soft hand on her forehead which was icy cold and started moving the strands of her black hair which had fallen on her face and glued there because of the cold sweat Evanna was having at that time and started whispering softly to Evanna;

“Wake up Ev. It’s just a dream... wake up!”

Evanna’s screams stopped as the pain started to ease. After a minute or so, only a part of her left arm was burning and her whole body had relaxed and silence had fallen all around except for her unlevelled and fast breathing.

“Look! I told you it was just a dream,” Hermione was saying to the others.

“No Hermione! It’s not! L-look at her arm,” Ron said with horror in his eyes.

The only things Evanna heard after just a few moments were gasps and a woman’s scream and then everything went black….. pitch black.

*