Chapter 34 - Good Bye, My Love

Artemis

I heard the door open and my heart grew nervous. I could feel it drumming in my chest. I already fixed his stuff, put all his clothes in the dresser, and even made some tea. His hard drive was back in his luggage, and I'm wearing my best dress that I took for this trip. Everything looked like they're at the right place.

I was standing  by the window, facing the ocean. I loved the water. Just by looking at it made me calm.  It made me dangerously calm. I'm scared of what was going to happen. It felt like there was a hole in my chest. And it's not the kind of hole that heartbreaks cause.  This one couldn't quite make what it's supposed to feel. It's an empty hole, and it's still waiting.

"Artemis."  I looked at him and couldn't help to feel proud that I had a handsome person I get to call my husband. He's standing there, looking like an angel... a very serious, looking angel...with a folder on his right hand.

It was at that moment when I knew it was all going downhill.

He walked towards me and stopped when he was inches away. He had this pained expression, like he needed to say something but he couldn't quite figure it out. He touched my face with his right hand and gave me a smile. A smile that didn't reach his eyes.

"I'm sorry." He said quietly.

I did my best to look confused, but I already knew where it was heading. "You don't have to be sorry. I know you feel bad cause we didn't have breakfast together, but it's okay!  You know what, we should go out and spend the day with the locals. Oh, we still need to do our scuba diving lessons! It's going to be a ---"

"Artemis." His eyes were sad, and they were looking  straight at me, trying to find a way to make it easier, reaching for my soul.

"Or" I said breaking off from his stare, my eyes starting to tear up now. "We can just stay in, watch some movies, cuddle, and all of that."

I had my back on him so he couldn't see the tears falling, but my voice cracked and I knew he could tell. 

"We can also just go to another country, maybe Paris?" I continued, the silent tears turning to a few hiccups now, "or Japan.  We can even go back..." 

I couldn't stop the tears. It kept on coming. I sat at the sofa and continued crying silently. 

August walked towards me. He stopped in front of me and knelt down, so his face was the same level as mine. He didn't say a word for a few seconds. He reached for my hand and held it tight.

"I need to tell you something."

I shook my head and looked straight at him, "whatever it is, you don't have to. It's okay."

His eyes started tearing up. He squeezed my hand tighter and said, "I'm sorry, but I have to do this."

I shook my head again, my eyes begging him not to. "Whatever it is, we can find a way---"

"There's no other way. Please. Just let me explain."

"No." I closed my eyes and wiped the tears in my face, "no, August...Daniel. You don't have to explain."

His hand slightly loosened on mine but he didn't move. I opened my eyes and sighed, "I looked through your hard drive while you were away.  I saw the folder named 'Clarke.' It didn't take me awhile to piece everything together."

He was just looking at me quietly, waiting for me to continue.

"The thing is, I don't care who you are..."