Chapter 54 - At Crossroads

Song Credit- 'Big Girls Don't Cry', by Fergie

Chapter 54

I wake up feeling awful.

Today is Friday. It is the day I've been waiting for all week...Until the fucked-up email.

Now, dread fills me.

How am I going to handle this? I have no idea. I should call Riaan. Demand an answer. But do I want to give him the chance to get out of this. The picture is clear. I don't think Stephanie could have faked something like this.

No, I definitely don't want to see Riaan. I don't want to give him the opportunity to manipulate me. I'm too weak around him, too gullible, like warm, pliable putty in the hands of a sculptor being molded and bent at his will.

This is not me. I need to be away from him. But where do I go to? It's not like I have many options. Riaan will find me.

Does he want to find me? I'm not even sure anymore. What if he has a good reason, even if I can't think of one right now.

Before I can think twice and chicken out, I find his number on my phone and dial it.

Please answer. Please pick up! Please...

But he doesn't. It goes to voicemail after a few rings and my heart sinks.

He hasn't messaged or called me all week. I have no idea what his intentions are.

I've made up my mind. This is the decider for me.

For all I know he and Stephanie are back together, lying in bed and having a laugh about the silly little girl one of them sampled. Im like a fucking hors d'oeuvres, or something. An appetizer for fucks sake. Maybe, these types of conquests got them off. Sick fuckers...

The though makes me feel nauseous again.

No! No more tears. Riaan has had enough of my tears. I will shed no more for him. I have nothing to be ashamed of. I was true to myself and that is all that matters.

Karma's a bitch. Let Riaan deal with his own demons when the time is right.

I shower and change.

I find Tina in the kitchen. She smiles when I enter. I see that she has made French toast and coffee.

Tina is never up this early. I know that she's up because she's worried about me. This makes me want to cry again. But I don't.

"Hey babes, feeling any better."

"I do," I lie. "I'm sorry for off-loading on to you last night. I...I wasn't prepared for that kind of shit I saw."

"No need for apologies. I don't think anyone expects weird shit like that...Besides, how many times have you held me after some horrible break-up? It's my turn to return the favour...Sister's, remember?"

I smile weakly. Thank God, I still have Tina.

I sit down. I'm still nauseous so I don't eat the toast but sip at my coffee. It is black and strong and fills me with it's bitter warmth.

Today, seems different. I feel different. Like I'm looking at myself from the outside. I'm strangely calm.

"So, any thoughts on how you going to handle this?"

I haven't a clue. Riaan is back today. And the car is being delivered too. The car dealership called yesterday. I was so happy then. Now, I feel nothing. I'm in no mood to receive either the car or Riaan today. Or anytime soon.