Chapter 4 - The Problem with Luggage

Song Credit- Vidya Vox- Kerala Boat Song

I am a huge fan of  Vidya Vox!
If, by chance, you haven't heard her, go check her out now. If you are open to the traditional, alternate sounds of the sitar and drums fused with contemporary, then you will feel her too.

Chapter 4

Outside the airport the air is warm and breezy.

The two men have taken fifteen minutes already trying to fit the luggage into the slick, slim body of Rahul's new BMW. He is very proud of the purchase, this being his first car that was not bought second-hand. Having a second household to support and our mother to take care of, Rahul rarely puts himself first.

He hardly, if ever, spents his salary on luxuries for himself. I had made a promise to myself, that the moment I started proper work and was making some real money, I would help out with my mother's expenses too.

Rahul thought I didn't know, but I knew enough to fit the pieces together and realise that my father had left behind numerous debts with his passing. Rahul took care of all of this without complaint. It was only right that I take on some of the burden as soon as I was able to.

Rahul stands scratching his head again. Two large bags are still outside the car, lying at his feet. He and Riaan have juggled bags around long enough to realize that no matter how much they try, there is just not enough space in the boot.

If they take everything out and start repacking again, I'm going to scream.

Stephanie has switched on her phone and is busy chatting to someone, unaware, or caring not to, of the dilemma with the bags. I am pretty sure that the bulk of the luggage is hers to begin with, and I'm  slightly annoyed by this.

I'm tired. Final exams are taking a toll on me. I need to get back to my dorm and sleep.

"Really?" I say. "Two grown men, and engineers at that, unable to figure out a simple thing like bags."

I march up and seize the two remaining bags at Rahul's feet and put them into the front passenger seat of the car.

"There! Problem solved," I say folding my arms and glaring at them.

The men look at me and grin sheepishly.

"Well it's going to be a tight squeeze in the back with the three of you but the trips not that long. Come. Let's go," Rahul says.

I climb into the back seat of the car, squeezing myself into the far corner. I expect Stephanie to climb in next. She's done with her call.

"You take the window, Steph," I hear Riaan say. "With the heat and your bouts of travel sickness, it'll be best to sit near a window."

There's a long pause.

"I guess you're right," she mumbles.

Riaan climbs into the car and slides in next to me.

Maybe, the luggage in the front seat wasn't the best idea. Being this close to Riaan is...unnerving.

Please God, don't let him know how affected I am by him. Please. I'll become a sage, a nun, anything you want. Just don't let him know.

Stephanie climbs in and we are off.

Riaan lifts both his arms and places them on the head rest behind the both of us. This gives us a bit more room and a more comfortable fit. Like pieces in a jigsaw puzzle we make our way out of the car park and onto the freeway, heading towards the city.