forty seven

on december 17th of 2023, jack and i welcomed our daughter, lacy gilinsky, into our lives.

mason was thrilled.

he soaked up every second of being a big brother. my mom could not get enough of lacy.

she'd take mason and lacy on what she'd call "mase and lace days", where she would spend the whole day with both of them while jack and i ran errands.

as for my dad..

in september, only days before the anniversary of skyler's death, it was discovered that my dad was involved. his entire hollywood empire crumbled and my mom didn't want to take it over. she wanted to be there for me, for mason, for lacy. my dad was the headline of every newspaper in the country for a good three months.

jack and i just moved to omaha in a cute little neighborhood. we started mason at sunset hills elementary school and while he was there, jack's parents watched lacy while jack and i worked. it was difficult being apart from lacy, and i was always scared i'd miss out on important firsts in her life.

i was cooking dinner, lacy in her high chair with some snacks and mason scribbling at the counter beside her.

jack walked through the door, sighing.

"hi babe!" i smiled, kissing his cheek.

"hi." he breathed, turning instantly to lacy.

"hello my favorite little lady."

lacy giggled, holding her hands up. a few teeth had began to poke through and i smiled at the sight.

"say daddy!" jack bent over her, lacy's laugh sounding over the food cooking.

molly, laura, and katherine came in about ten minutes later, all swooning over lacy.

i put the food on hold and walked over to mason, who was still drawing quietly.

"hey mase." i said, putting my hand on his back. "what's this?"

"a dinosaur." he showed me the picture, which was fairly detailed for his age.

"that's great."

"mommy, why do auntie laura and auntie molly only like lacy?"

my heart sank and it felt like i got hit by a truck. i didn't know how to reply.

"they don't, baby. it's only because lacy is still a little baby. they love you very much too."

he frowned. "i don't think so."

"masoooonnn!" molly ran over and swooped mason out of his chair, a smile coming to his face.

it hurt me that mason believed jack's family liked lacy more. it was inevitable — lacy is biologically related to them. she is jack's daughter, while mason is not jack's son. they felt more connected to her, because that was their niece and granddaughter.

i pulled lacy out of her high chair and walked over to jack.

"i think it's time we tell mason."

-

"so, mase.." i began, glancing at jack for approval. he nodded and put his arm around me. mason looked at the both of us.

"daddy.. is.." i couldn't bring myself to say it.

"only lacy's daddy." jack finished, my eyes darting to him.

"not only lacy. me too."

"no, mason. he is only lacy's daddy. your daddy is... he isn't around."

mason seemed confused. then his eyes filled with tears.

"i have no daddy?"

"no, mase, just because i'm not your real daddy does not mean i won't be your dad. i've been here all along, haven't i?"

mason nodded but he was now sobbing. jack pulled mason into his lap and held him. i felt my eyes tear up, too.

"why does lacy get a daddy? why does she get everything?"

i joined jack and mason's hug.

"we both love you very much, mason. irregardless of whether or not he is your real dad, he has raised you."

i knew it would be a few more years before mason could fully grasp it all, but for the time being we just held each other as a family. i would not let my son feel inferior because his real dad was a piece of shit — no, because he has jack.

the dreams of sam had dwindled down to nothing, our memories becoming distant. jade and i were still super close, facetiming each other with our kids and talking about our lives despite the distance from omaha to los angeles .

one day, when jack and i flew out to visit my mom, i left jack and the kids with her while i took a drive to a place i hadn't been in seven years.

bare elegance in inglewood. the place i met jack. ironically, i parked in my old vacant employee parking spot.

i walked to the door, a new bouncer at the door. i showed my ID before entering, the atmosphere feeling the exact same.

a familiar face waltzing through the floor caught my eye.

"shasta!" i called out, the woman turning around. she's worked here for ten whole years.

"rose?"

i nodded and hugged her, despite her scantily clothed figure.

we sat down at the bar and i shot back a few drinks.

"i have two kids. with jack, the one i met here."

"shut up!" she laughed, getting me another drink.

"mhm." i tossed the shot back. "it's crazy, huh?"

i knew this was my last drink, or else i'd have to call jack to come pick me up.

we chatted awhile longer before i decided i'd call jack just to be safe.

"inglewood? why the hell are you in inglewood?" jack asked on the phone.

"i wanted to go to the club."

"oh rose." he murmured. "i'm on my way."

i stood beside my car waiting for jack to arrive.

a black range rover pulled into the parking lot, a man sliding out. i watched as the car drove away, a black "uber" sticker on the back.

jack.

AN:

i had to end it the way it began for them! :')

thank you all so so much for reading! feel free to comment below and i will answer any and all questions, or message me if you'd like!

my next story will be justin (bieber of course) since i just finished reading turbulence (i definitely recommend it!! 😍) and i'm very excited! 💕