twenty eight

"los angeles? huh." skyler said.

"yeah, i know." i laughed. "i'm far from home."

"i couldn't imagine leaving the city even if i wanted to." he said.

currently, skyler and i were making our way down fifth avenue. he was parked somewhere, he just couldn't precisely remember where.

we've been walking for awhile.

"i always knew i wanted to get out of la at some point. it's just.. toxic." i explained, pulling my jacket closer to my body.

"that's everywhere, really." he shrugged. "oh, there's my car!"

i contemplated for a moment. should i get into his car? i just met the guy..

"finally!"

i got into skyler's car and he instantly cranked up the heat.

"so, anywhere to be?" he asked.

as if on cue, my phone rang.

jack.

"hello?" i sighed, finally picking up.

"rose." he breathed. "rosalina, please baby, where are you?"

"uh, don't know, don't care. somewhere on fifth i think?" i played dumb.

"baby come back to the hotel. please."

"maybe later."

i hung up the phone and skyler gave me the look.

"boyfriend?"

"ex fiancé." i groaned. "he cheated on me the day after proposing."

"that's gotta be tough." he sighed, his new york accent prominent.

"i think i'll be okay." i smiled.

-

after a day of exploring the city and almost all it had to offer, skyler dropped me back off at the hotel.

i made my way upstairs to the room and when i walked in, jack was sound asleep beneath the covers. part of me hated him for what he did to me, but the other loved him with nearly everything in me.

i plugged my phone into the charger and changed my clothes before climbing into bed with him, shaking him awake.

"you came back." he said sleepily, sitting up. i could tell by the puffiness of his face that he had been crying.

"yeah." i whispered, holding the covers against my body. it was snowing outside and the feeling of the warm blankets against my skin after being outside all day was very comforting.

"do you still love me?"

i sucked in a breath and he looked down and sighed.

"i do, jack. but you made an unforgivable mistake."

"please still marry me, rosie. i love you." he begged, his eyes tearing again. i could see how much this is hurting him.

"how can i trust you, jack? sammy never cheated on me."

"you cheated on me with sam and i forgave you!"

"you asked to marry me despite that, yet the day after you let madison suck your -"

"stop." jack yelled, catching me by surprise. "i don't love madison. i chose YOU, rose. please think."

i sat at the edge of the bed, my eyes watering. just thinking of jack with madison pained me.

"jack, we can't be together anymore. i'm sorry."

"you don't mean it." he whispered. "no, you just.. you just need a few hours to think, right?"

i stayed silent.

"rose."

"i'm sorry, i can't."

jack said no more and began packing his bags. i stood in the center of the hotel and watched, my heart breaking. i knew i still loved him but i couldn't do this anymore, this kind of relationship where we're both just confused.

once he finished, he walked up to me and pressed his lips against mine softly.

"i love you, rosalina. i always will."

after that, he left the room and the door clicked shut.

i didn't sleep that night.

-

AN:

short kind of filler chapter. i'm sorry for my lack of updating but it's my senior year and im working on my grades as well as personal relationships and friendships outside of the internet. another chapter will be out tonight :) i write these as i go, but i have ideas in the back of my mind! vote n share if you'd like ❤️