forty three

june 6th, 2023

"happy birthday to you...."

"oh no." i moaned, pulling the blankets over my head.

"happy birthday to you!" jack jumped onto the bed, the smell of the breakfast he had cooked making me feel slightly nauseated.

"jack, i love you but that... smells terrible."

he frowned, looking down at the meal that admittedly looked delicious. "someone's grouchy."

i shook my head. "i'm sure it's good, babe."

i took a bite and it did taste good, but the smell just made me sick.

"are we still taking mason to jade and bryce's tonight?" he asked, leaning beside me. i nodded.

"mason's really looking forward to seeing baby hailey." i laughed. "i hope he's nice to her."

mason had pretty good manners, jack and i raised him to be polite and so far it was going well. he always said please and thank you and was always very respectful, even for a four year old.

"of course he is." jack kissed me and i kissed back eagerly, pushing the plate of food aside.

"um... mommy."

i pulled away from jack and saw mason rubbing his eyes, a curious look on his face.

"hi baby." i reached my arms out and he came over, coming into my arms.

"i had a scary dream."

"what happened?" i asked, holding him on my lap.

"there was a plane. an airplane. it exploded."

my heart sank and i looked to jack, who was already looking at me.

"it did?" i asked, hoping he would continue with the story.

"mhm." he whimpered. he held onto me and i held him close, kissing the top of his head.

"it was just a dream, honey." i promised.

"i don't want to go on planes."

i looked to jack once more. we were getting married in 5 days, and would be taking mason to omaha to stay with jack's parents while we went on our honeymoon. mason would have to go on a plane.

"it was only a dream, mase. now let's go, you're seeing auntie jade today."

that seemed to make him a little happier, but i couldn't stop thinking of how i'd have to make him get on a plane. maybe it's a bad sign. maybe we should leave him with my parents, in la. jack's parents will be here anyways, maybe they could all stay together and watch mason together.

i would not be putting mason on a plane.

-

i pulled jade aside while jack and bryce talked about some football game they were planning on going to in the fall.

"jade, i think i'm pregnant again." i said, my hand on my stomach.

"what?!" she squealed.

"i just.. i know this feeling, i had it with mason."

"oh my gosh, i have a test in my bathroom from before i had hailey."

i followed her, sneaking away from the guys and taking the test.

"i'll take it in the morning." i promised, hiding it in my purse.

my mind swirled with all of the possibilities. if i'm pregnant, i'll have to announce it at the wedding. that's when everyone will be together.

i shook it off and went home with jack, enjoying our night alone.

i avoided the wine.

-

i woke up before jack, tip toeing into the bathroom. i took the test and set it on the counter, pacing back and forth. i texted jade to let her know i took it and she replied immediately with a "good luck!".

after five minutes, i looked at the test.

positive. two lines.

i ran out of the bathroom and shook jack awake. his hair a mess and his eyes still half shut, he sat up.

"what, rose?"

"jack. i'm pregnant."

his eyes widened. "what?"

i nodded, showing him the test.

"oh my god." he smiled, pulling me into his arms. "rose, oh my- i gotta call my parents."

i decided that letting our parents and best friends in on the idea before the wedding was a good idea, not wanting anyone to be too upset.

i thought back to four years ago, when skyler threw me against a wall for telling him i was pregnant.

then i thought of jack's smile, the smile he has now while he calls his mom.

"mom, hey. yeah, good morning to you too. look, i have some news — no, we're still getting married."

i stifled a laugh at the last part.

"rose is pregnant."

i felt the tears start and as soon as jack was off of the phone, i wrapped my arms around his neck and held him tight.

"i love you so much, jack."

"i love you too, baby." he stroked my hair gently and then went to rub my stomach.

"do you think it can hear me?"

"i don't even know how far long i am, jack." i laughed.

the idea of giving birth over again no longer seemed stressful. mason is at a good age to become a big brother, jack and i are getting married in a few days, and i was having jack's baby.

finally, everything was coming together.