twenty seven

new years eve

"god, it's freezing out there." i shuddered, shutting the door of our hotel room.

we were currently in nyc, but times square was beyond packed and we could see all we needed to see from our hotel room, including performances and the ball.

"you're from california, that's why you're cold." jack teased, wrapping his arms around me tightly.

"better than being from nebraska." i joked back, standing on my toes to kiss him.

"i can't believe i'm marrying you." he smiled, kissing me again. our lips moved together and we stumbled back towards the bed.

my hands fumbled to unbutton his shirt, his hands faster than mine at taking off my shirt. soon (but never soon enough), both of us were completely stripped and getting beneath the covers.

his hands felt up and down my body, our lips never parting. he pulled away, his lips sucking at my collarbone and his fingers dancing up my thigh to where they needed to go. my back arched and i let out a moan before jack pressed his lips against mine once more before he entered me.

"i'm so in love with you, rose."

"i love you too." i whispered before our lips met again.

-

in the morning i woke up to the sound of the hotel door closing. i sat up, pulling the blanket to my chest and seeing that jack was wrapped in a robe with several plates in hand.

"hi babe, i ordered breakfast."

"why thank you." i replied sleepily, rubbing my eyes.

"i guess you could say we brought in 2018 with a bang.." he smirked, my eyes widening.

"jack!"

"i'm sorry, i'm sorry." he laughed, wrapping his arms around me. "c'mon, it's kinda funny."

"it is." i admitted, taking my plate and setting it on my lap. jack went to the bathroom and i heard his ringer go off and i glanced at it before i looked one more time.

madison- imessage

i unlocked his phone and went to the thread, the last message before hers being sent in july when they fell out.

madison:
you're engaged? you didn't tell me this when i saw you..

i locked the phone and took a deep breath.

jack came back into the room. "did my phone go off?"

"when did you see madison." i stated more than asked, tears building up.

"i saw her the day after christmas at the house." he shrugged.

"why wasn't i at the house, jack? you never even told me you were going to the house."

he looked like a deer in headlights.

"she came over. we didn't do anything."

"so it's cool to invite your ex over the day after you ask me to marry you? and not tell me?!"

"you had sam over!" he yelled.

i wrapped the sheets around me and snatched jack's phone.

"babe, don't. stop that." jack warned. i walked into the bathroom and locked the door before bringing the phone to my ear.

"hey babe!" madison's voice sounded.

"it's actually not 'babe', it's rose. his fiancée. what kind of skank calls an engaged man 'babe?' oh, you do, madison!"