Chapter 19: When the still wind blows

Sometimes time passed so swiftly.

Sometimes it carried on endlessly.

And sometimes, it was both at the same time.

Still, as Azaiah still around all of his older brotehrs friends, he thought it was kind of cool. Sion was turning 18, now an official adult of the world. He had his girlfriend wrapped around his arm, and there was truly tnohign that would ruin this moment. There was celbreation in their little New York apartment, a thousand different conversations going on around them, and they even had an ice-cream cake for dessert. Was there anything better than this? He didn’t think of anything.

“So what did you get him for this birthday?” Foxie asked Azaiah.

“Couldn’t do much, but I told I’m I’d be the one to take care of cleaning his room when he went away to collage.”

“Weren’t you always complaining that he was a slob?”

“Hey, this way I didn’t have to spend any money.”

“True, though I’d buy him a gift card or something instead of doing that. Want me to see if my dad has any of those extra sanitztion outfits he uses at work for it?”

“Hey, I’m not that bad!” Sion protested, starting to put Azaiah in a headlock.

“You’re 18 do you really have to treat him like that?” Foxy asked.

“Oh, bbut of coruse. Even when we’re old men, I’ll still be there to torment him from time to time. Even if we live on different sides of the world, even if I’m the first man on Mars while Azaiah is exploring the middle of the earth, I’ll still pick on him.”

“I’m glad to hear some things will never change,” Azaiah said, rubbing his neck from wherei t was aching from that most recent attack. Still, it would have been quiet around here without a brother. He could have only imagined what his life would be like. A lot more peaceful, that he was pretty sure of, but at the same tiem, it was nice having someone he could ask for help with. Even if that help was normally combined with a large amount of sarcasm.

Sion then started walking away, going to hang out with some other friends, leaving Azaiah and Foxie together. “What are you thinking abuot?” Foxie asked, as Azaiah leaned back with his eyes closed.

“I don’t know,” he said. “Just that myh life is so good. I mean, I have you, I have my family, I have this awesome cake.”

“The cake is a lie,” he heard a voice call out softly. But Azaiah opened his eyes and looked around, but didn’t see you said it.

“Are you okay?” Foxie asked.

“Yeah, I must just be hearing thigns,” Azaiah thought. No, he said that, but I guess he also thought that too. Dang, I’ve been writing for a while, but I can’t stop anytime soon.  No matter how hard this was, he’d keep pushing forward, huh, wait, let’s just move on.

“So what do you say we go outside where it’s not so crowded,” Foxie said.

“Sure, let’s do that. Before it gets too hot out there that is.”

However, as they did so, Azaiah decided he might as well grab another piece of cake, since he liked that red velvet cake so much.

“You’re such a pig,” Foxie teased him.

“Hey, I’m a growing oy. I might as well enjoy the good food while I can, Azaiah said before opening the door to their balcony. It might not have been the most romantic view, several stories above the subberbs of New York City, but at the saime time, it wasn’t the view that made it special, it was the person who he was able to share it with. It could have been overlooking a dump, but with such a great girl by his side, he would have been perfectly content with that.

“Azahai,” Foie said after a few moments of standing in silence.

“What is it?”

Foxie began holding him closer so they were facing each other. “One life really sin’t a long time,” she said. “I never thought id’ be able to meet someone like you, someone who is just always there for me, and knows how to say just ht eright thing to make me laugh or smile, whenever the situation calls for it.”

Azaiah couldn’t help but blush at this, he really wanted to say something aback, to compliment her in return, but he was at a loss of words, as she continued.

“I know we haven’t een toether for that long, but I wanted to say this now. I don’t know what our future holds, but know that right now, in this moment, I love you.”

She hugged him now tigther, as if she didn’t want to let go of him. He felt his hands shaking as he returned the hug. Love was a feeling, and a choice, and an action and a duty. All of these put together, was how he felt toward Foxie right now. Maybe he was just a kid crazy in love, but he could think of nothing else to do but to return the hug and say the same thing back to her. “Oh Foxie, I love you too.”

“You really mean that?” she asked with tears in her eyes.

“Of course, I’ve never felt this way about a girl before. I don’t want this ever change.”