Chapter 43

Chapter 43

               *Tara’s POV*

               I understood I was dreaming. This was just too strange to be real.

My dream was simply a collection of different scenes. One where I ran to a white snow covered house that rose out of the woods; one with a man with familiar green eyes; one where I was standing in a glass tube and pounding on the sides, trying to escape the rising water level; one with Conner crying, his tears landing on my hair as he kissed my head; and another with my father smiling at me.

My father!

Suddenly I sat up, looking around frantically with my heart pounding to see I was in my room, with Conner lying next to me, just the way it’s been last night. I exhaled deeply and mentally scolded myself for getting worked up over nothing. I still remembered parts of the dream. Some were confusing while others were frightening. But it was only a dream, I assured myself.

It was a little early to start getting ready for work, but seeing as I was awake, I did so anyway. Just as I was finishing, the bulk on the bed opened his eyes and looked to see I was not on the bed. His eyes searched the room until they landed upon me. I was watching all of this with the mirror I was using to adjust my bun so my hair looked okay, even though it was still wet from my shower.

“Where are you going?” Conner sat up and looked at me with a startled expression

“I’m going to work.” I stated. “I have a morning shift today.”

“What!? We only have two days together and you’re leaving for one of them?”

“It’s only part of the day.” I responded coolly; the opposite of how he was reacting. “I really owe Penny and can’t just leave her hanging like this. I should be back around two, and I’ll make it up to you then. The girls are at school and I already called in and excused them for tomorrow.” I strode over to him and gave him a quick peck on the lips. “Sorry. See you later.” Then I walked out, leaving Conner with Paramore to keep him company.

It wasn’t long before I was upon the diner’s doorstep. The bell tinkled upon my entry and I smiled at its familiar greeting. I would definitely miss this place.

Penny came up to me with a happy grin. “Hey! I haven’t seen you in awhile. Today should be nothing special, but we are going to schedule hours for the next month.”

“Okay.” I replied as I grabbed my things.

The day started off like any other work day. We had a morning rush with the usual familiar faces and the truckers that were heading up north for the ice season. Snow covered the bottom of window sills, showing the only sign of the bitterness outside as the friendly diner glowed with warmth and laughter. It was one of the places I felt most at home.

Yet it wasn’t a normal day, like I tried to trick myself into believing. It was possibly one of my last, and one that I would have to say goodbye to Penny.

Between the breakfast and lunch rush, Penny and I had some down time to chat.

“So what are you going to Harvard for? You never told me.”

“I didn’t? Oh, well it’s for biochemistry.”

“Biochemistry?” I asked in disbelief.

“Yeah. I always dreamed of doing that since I was ten. Soon, I’ll be able to live out that dream.”