Chapter 55b

*Tara’s POV*

“Dad!” I beamed and ran into his outstretched arms. “I can’t believe it’s you!”

He laughed and spun me around like he always would do when I was little. Then he set me down before brushing a strand of hair out of my face. “You’ve grown up beautifully,” he commented with a hint of sorrow in his voice. “Come on, let’s sit down and catch up,” he suggested and gestured to a bench that I hadn’t noticed before.

We sat and talked for several minutes, or more I did as I filled him in on everything that had happened in my life since he’d left. I didn’t get very far past when I first turned into a werewolf when he cut me off saying, “Peach, I already know all of it. I’ve been watching over you and your mother this whole time.”

“Oh,” I blushed.

“It’s fine, you didn’t know,” he chuckled.

“I’ve just missed you so much,” I admitted. “And to think you would never meet the girls, or any other children I may have, or even intimidate Conner with your protectiveness…”

“I know. But you’ve been an amazingly strong girl, even without me. You’ve done so well and made me so incredibly proud.”

“Really? I’ve messed up so much lately…”

“No you haven’t. At least not as much as you think. But your mistakes only prove your lingering humanity,” he pointed out. “But we have more important things to discuss.”

“Like what?”

“How we’re going to get you out of here.”

“And how will that happen?”

“Well, Tara, you’re going to have to make a decision,” he explained.

*Conner’s POV*

I had calmed down enough by the time Leah had arrived for Zevi to leave me and take Leah out into the hall to explain my fragile state. I wasn’t alone for too long though as Tara’s mother, Laura, came in and sat beside me, placing her hand on top of my own.

I glanced over at her watering eyes and she whispered, “I know.”

Hanging my head, I looked away, having no clue on what to say to her and opting to be silent. She was the quiet comfort I needed as time passed and the electric heartbeat kept going with its steady rhythm.

Before I knew it, the night had passed and sunlight shone outside as the girls returned. They didn’t know what Carlisle had told me yet, but my voice failed me just upon the thought of explaining it to them.

Luckily, Tara’s mom understood and took them out of the room just as my mother burst into it. I stood up and and ran into her arms, instantly crying into her shoulder -even if I had to lean down to do so.

“Oh my baby, my poor baby,” she rubbed my back. Dad watched with sad eyes as I clung to my mother.

“Mom, she’s so close to going…” my voice croaked. “And I can’t do anything about it!”

“Shh, I know. Just let it out,” she soothed. So I did. I confessed everything to her, pouring my heart out. Mom listened and cried with me, while still supporting me. Then Rena and Mirabelle came back in with Tara’s mom.

“A baby…” Mirabelle whispered before being embraced with a hug by me. Rena watched as I continued to break down. I had kept my strong face on for the girls the past few days, but could no longer find the strength to do so. I could not even keep strong for them anymore.