Chapter 15

Conner’s POV

I was lying on the couch of the pack house, thinking over some recent events. Laura had my hopes up recently with a new video come in. We watched it together, with it mostly of Tara traveling all over the country in a month or two, finding the entire population of vampires and werewolves in the United States it seemed. There were so many of them! This made a long video. But at the end, she was just exhausted and exasperated with her search, but still hadn’t given up. Though the traveling was certainly taking a toll on her body. But also at the end, she didn’t say where she was going or anything, because I don’t think she knew, but it gave no leads to go on, leaving me stuck here.

There was a note with the DVD though, that gave us hope. It said: ‘this video was from a month ago. Things are much different now. Hopefully I’ll come up and visit you soon. Love, Tara.’

That gave me hope that instead of bouncing around the whole country, she would come here and I could confront her here. So, Laura and I set up a system. Tara show up at Laura’s front door, Laura texts me to come, I hurry my butt on over here.

So until then, I got to lie on the couch waiting. Then Randy and Sammy walked in, holding hands. The little love birds. Sammy, or Samantha, knew our secret now. But it was a pain before she knew because we had to act like ‘normal’ people so she didn’t think that we were gay or something, seeing as we were topless guys with lots of muscles, that weren’t related, yet lived together. That included wearing shirts. I hated those days. Then, when she found out, it was kind of interesting to watch. She was like freaking out, and then went into a shock for a day or two, but Ann helped with that. Now it’s cool ‘cause we can just hang around the house shirtless and she’s ok with it.

               They came in laughing and holding hands. I sighed sort of sadly, but yet rolled my eyes. Then my pocket buzzed. I pulled out my phone and read the text. It said ‘come quick.’

               I jumped up and over the couch. “Where are you going?” asked Randy over his shoulder.

               “Quick! Keys!” I said. He threw me his.

               “Where are you going?” he asked again.

               “I’ll tell you when I get back.” I said, running out the door and hopping into his truck. I sped down the highway, trying to get there as fast as I can without crashing the old thing. Even at 60mph, pushing 70, it was going to take at least 7 minutes to get there.

               As I pulled up, someone stepped off the porch. I hopped out of the truck and looked over to the person who was looking at me. My heart stopped dead.

It was Tara.

I filled up with happiness and whispered her name. “Tara.” she inhaled sharply as she realized who was standing in front of her. I took a step closer, wanting to hold her in my arms like the day she woke up after being bitten. That was one of the best days of my life. She didn’t care at all of being in my arms, and the feeling of her snuggling into my chest with my arms around her, while a kissed her hair. It was so nice. But things have changed. I can tell in the hesitance she has right now, standing before me. She wants me to come closer, yet she doesn’t, I can tell.

The sun shined upon her glowing skin, much different from the last video I saw. Something has changed there. At least I was finally seeing her in the flesh. I didn’t stop expressing my joy with a smile. I could see joy in her eyes though too, she was happy to see me. My heart felt whole again, with her so close. “Tara.” I said taking another step forward.

There was something else in her eyes though too. A mixture of regret, restraint and resentment. I knew what she was going to do even before she did it. She gave me, a long sad look and ran into the forest. I just stood there dumbfounded and heartsick all over again. I didn’t even attempt to go after her.

Laura came out. I turned to her with large eyes. She gave me a pitiable look and said “why don’t you come in the house Conner.” I nodded slowly and went in the house. I sat down at my usual spot to find it warm. Tara must have been sitting in this exact same spot only moments ago.

“I guess you’re going to whack me and go after her.” I said glumly, while looking down at my hands.

“I could say that, and her scent must be fresh, I’m sure you could find her. But I’m not going to. Conner, there is something wrong with Tara. I don’t know what and she’s not ready to tell me, but I don’t want you to go after her now. She’s not ready for you to come now, it’s the wrong time. She needs time to sort out this problem on her own and you coming would probably make it worse. i think you should give a week, just a week to let her solve her own problems and then go after her. She’s not ready for you now.”

I looked up at her, slightly surprised by her reaction. “Ok, I guess I can handle that.” I said, just as my pocket buzzed. Randy texted me: ‘dude, I need my truck back.’

I looked at Laura. “Sorry, but I got to go. See you soon.” I drove the truck back to the pack house and gave randy the keys back.

“What did you need them for?” he asked.

“Laura's trash can was on fire.” I said, lying through my teeth. “It’s all good now.” I said, shrugging it off.

“Ok, well bye.” He said, linking arms with Sammy and walking back to the truck.

I went inside and flopped back on the couch. It was just a week. I can handle this. It’s only a week, I kept telling myself.

*************************************

ok, yeah I know, short. but he will find her in the next few chapters (which means like 5) I promise! :D  ok, so comment and vote and such. since it's currently on the whats hot list, i'm going to upload even faster. :)