Chapter 12

A few days later....

“Tara! Get up! Get up!”

I groaned and rolled over on my side “why? It’s too early in the morning.”

“Come on, it’s only 9 a.m.!  Anyways, guess what day it is!”

“I don’t know, why does it matter?”

“It’s your birthday! Remember?”

“Oh yeah.” I said, lifting my head up and looking around, still on my makeshift bed on the floor in Mirabelle’s room.

“Now, hurry up and get dressed! And wear something nice. We’re going to make your cake soon!”

“Shouldn’t we do that later, near dinner time?”

“Well, the vampires want to then, and the werewolves and vampires don’t want to share a party for your 18th birthday, so we’re going to have two parties!”

“You’re throwing me two parties!” I exclaimed. I thought it was much just to throw me one party, two was just about too much. I really didn’t want to impose on them.

“Yeah, now hurry up and get dressed.” She said, skipping away and flying up the stairs.

I groaned and made my legs stand. Still half asleep, I opened the dresser me and Mirabelle shared and picked out a white top, and brown capris. Not that dressy, but more than what I  usually wore. 

I dragged my tired feet to the bathroom and looked at my hair. “Oh dear lord.” I said. This would be fun to comb. Usually, I put my hair up somehow before going to bed, so it wouldn’t end up like this. But last night I was so tired since we had a busy day at the diner, I just let it hang out, and went to bed. Now, I was paying for it.

I didn’t put off the inevitable, and decided just to get it over with now. I grabbed a comb and brush, and got to work.

Fifteen minutes later, I finally got it somewhat presentable, and all the tangles out, and I put it in a messy bun. I finally, wandered my way up the stairs and into the kitchen. “She finally awakens!” said Emily, cooking.

“I was awake, just had to deal with the piles of knots on top of my head.” I said lightheartedly.

She laughed. “Well, go find Mirabelle. She said she didn’t want you around here until lunch time.”

“Oh, fine.” I said, wandering away from the nice smells of the kitchen.

Later on, I was walking by the house and I heard Quil and Embry yelling “I want to lick the bowl!”

“No! It’s mine!”

I just laughed and shook my head and kept on walking by. “Pst!” I turned towards the woods and saw Leah standing there. “Meet me at the tree house in ten minutes.”

“Ok.” I said. I didn’t ask why. Leah has her mysterious ways, and I’ve just learned to roll with it.

So, ten minutes later, I climbed up the rope ladder again and she was sitting in her usual corner.

“I wanted to wish you a happy 18th birthday.” She smiled. “Just, not in front of the others.” I nodded understandingly. “I also got you a gift.” She said, pulling something from behind her. It was a small package, wrapped in gift paper and ribbon.

“Should I open it now?” I asked as she handed it to me.

“No, wait ‘til later. Just keep it with you.”

“Ok.” I said, carefully putting it in my pocket. She was about to talk again when we heard Mirabelle calling for me.

“You better go.” Leah said. “I’ll be there soon enough.”