Chapter Thirty [Part One] [Aerin]

***A/N***

The song is "Breathe Me" by Sia. It played in Cyberbully at a dramatic scene and for some reason reminds me of Aerin's sister. If I were you, I would bring it up in another window or Tab and play it for the next chapters.

[Aerin-This is the beginning of the end]

“Doctor! Please, can I get a doctor in here?” Liz screamed frantically. I could hear the tears clogging up her voice the same way blood I was trying to cough up stuck in my throat. I could feel my body seizing, unable to stop it.

I don’t exactly know why I entered consciousness only to realize I was going to die.

My life was, by far, not something I wanted to remember, but memories insisted on flashing before my eyes, reminding me of how much life eighteen years could hold.

[She held me in her arms, cradling my head and kissing the stitches above my left brow.

“Who knew a two year old could cause so much trouble?”

I smiled, unaware of how inappropriately place the expression was. I suppose I would have apologized to my mother if I could talk. But I couldn’t, so no words were said.]

A monotony of fluorescent lights flashed above as my hospital bed was rushed down the hallway.

[I hated the sound of gunshots. They rang out loudly no matter how far away you were, celebrating the destruction they cause.

But that was nothing compared to actually seeing the destruction a bullet could cause.

We were only ten, still small enough to barely fit in the cupboard under the sink. My mom had shoved us under there when she heard someone in our house. She told us not to move, that she was going to get help.

I pulled Aelin closer to me as she started to weep, stroking her hair and telling her she needed to stay quiet.

I could see my mom run into the kitchen; she hit the counter when someone pushed her while she tried to grab a knife. The edge of the counter pushed all the breath from her.

“No,” she choked as she turned around. “Please don’t.”

She found herself staring down the barrel of a gun.

Aelin screamed when he shot Mom, the wail covered by the bang of the bullet leaving the gun. I had tried to cover her eyes but it was too late. My hand instinctively moved down over her mouth, catching her sobs.

We stayed like that as the murderer fled the scene and a neighbor came over. She had already called the police.

When she stumbled upon us she called Child Protective Services too.]

My eyes tried to crawl back into my skull as bright light attacked my pupils.

“C’mon kid! Give me a response.”

[I shoved my arms through the worn sleeves of a second rate jacket, getting ready to head out tonight. I yelped when Aelin burst out of Richard, our foster father’s, room. Her shirt was torn from the neckline down, leaving the right side of her chest bare. I could see handprints across her stomach, nails leaving red ribbons on her skin. Her wrists were crimson and raw. Tears made her face agitated, setting a background for the bruises on her cheekbones.

I grabbed her arms as she tried to rush past me and forced her to look into my eyes without saying anything.

That said it all. “That bastard!” I growled and started toward his room.

She grabbed my arm and pulled me back. “No Aerin! Let it be. Don’t do anything, okay? Just…don’t leave me here tonight. Let me go out with you. Please?”

She pleaded with her eyes.

It took a few seconds but my tense, aggressive muscles uncoiled. “Fine.”

She sniffled and smiled. “Thanks. Just let me wash up.”

Aelin had me wait outside her room. I should have known something was wrong by the look in her eyes but nothing registered. I just left her alone but in the end it was her leaving me.]