Chapter Nineteen [Part Two] [Aerin]

[Aerin's Point of View]

“Like a date?”

I fell back onto the pillow in… shock? Amazement?

Was she proposing the idea or sickened by it?

I tried to answer but the fear deep in my stomach held onto the ‘yes’ , twisting it into a response offering less risk.

“I dunno… What do you think?”

Less risk….ha! My heart was racing and my palms were sweating.

A date…

I was sort of, kind of asking Jan on a date.

Was I freaking suicidal? She’d just broken up with her psychotic, over-bearing, abusive boyfriend (who then automatically hated my guts). So, I proceeded to feed the negative emotions bu asking his ex out on a date.

What was I doing? I didn’t need this. I didn’t need to become too emotionally involved with this. Things could go wrong, gut wrenchingly wrong, and I didn’t need to invest in this too much. Last time hurt enough…

“Sure, why not?”

I shot up, my heart swelling with fear and excitement. Tissue eyed me lazily with his ears perked. “Seriously?” My voice almost cracked halfway through.

She yawned. “Sure. Let’s talk about it more tomorrow though. I’m beat.”

“Sure. Night Jan. Sweet dreams.” I could feel my insanely wild smile leak into my words.

She laughed lightly. “You too. What time are you planning on picking me up?”

“Try for seven thirty?”

“’Kay. Night Aerin.”

“Night.” I hung up hesitantly with a thick feeling of accomplishment wrapped around me.

This is a good thing.

But at the same time, I knew it was a horrible thing.