Chapter Ten

My first period class went by too fast. By the time I was at my locker it felt like my stomach was trying to eat itself. My fingers weren’t cooperating and I had to retry my combination three times before I got it right. As my door swung open the majority of my locker’s contents flew out and hit the floor with a collective chorus of clatter.

By the time I had my knees on the ground two pairs of hands were helping me. I stiffened when I noticed Jayden to my right. My body unconsciously shifted left towards Aerin and whatever I had managed to collect slipped from my fingers. Jayden stared at me icily before handing me my things.

I thanked him under my breath and tried to keep my eyes on him as he walked away. I felt his hand on my head, patting me like I was a dog. Terror rippled through me and my eyes clenched shut. He was telling me that I still was under him.

I stood uneasily as soon as he was gone and put my stuff in the locker. Aerin handed me what he’d picked up and leaned against the locker next to mine.

“I’m fine,” I told him as I fought adolescent tears.

“You’re shaking,” he pointed out.

Damn. I was. “Yeah. It kind of spooked me when all my stuff jumped ship.”

“Jan…” He reached for my arm.

I jerked away as I shut my locker. “I’m fine,” I repeated. My chest shuddered with the burden of the lie and I held onto my books tightly.

“You aren’t as good at telling lies as you think. At least not to me.”

Didn’t he give up? “Listen Aerin, you don’t know shit about me. Stop looking at me like I’m some freaking charity case. I’m what most would label a lost cause. You can’t do anything for me so stop trying.” I started off down the hall hoping he wouldn’t follow, that he’d wallow in his shocked daze. I was wrong.

“Jeeze you walk fast. Would you just stop for a second?” he was jogging to keep up.

“No. I have to get to history.” I almost tripped as realization struck me.

History.

Okay, I reassured myself. He couldn’t do anything, especially in the middle of class. I was safe at school.

Aerin caught my wrist and I yelped. “Please. Just…leave me alone,” I pleaded. My eyes refused to look at him. I knew if he looked into them that was it. He’d see just how much I was hiding (or attempting to).

“No.”

“You don’t understand. I’m not worth it. You can’t help me anymore than I can myself.”

“I can try. Besides, you aren’t my charity case.” He lifted my chin so I looked into his eyes. My own were brimming over with tears. “Just let me be your friend.”

My jaw trembled. “Fine,” I spat weakly just as the tardy bell rang. “Shit. I’ve gotta…uh…”

“Yeah. Me too.” He let go of my wrist and started down the hall in the other direction. “See you in English.”

“Yeah,” I agreed and set off for history. Under my breath I added, “If I live through this.”