Chapter Twenty

The alarm on my phone went off, accompanied by its ever faithful vibration.

Ring ring ring!

Bzzt!

Ring ring ring!

Bzzt!

Ring r—

“Shut up already!” I threw the phone at my closet door and closed my eyes once more. Tranquility did not last long.

With a groan I dragged myself out of bed and retrieved my phone a moment after the ringing stopped.

Hmph.

I set the phone down on the vanity and changed into the clothes I had set out yesterday (cause nothing screams “hot date” like an old band tee and skinnies). After I tugged on my convers I sat down for a couple minutes to do my eye make-up. I finished with black lipstick.

I rolled my eyes and answered. “Yellow.”

“Hey, what’s you address? I’m getting ready to leave.”

Oh. I told him and had him read it back to me before the call ended and I dragged my stuff out into the kitchen. My dad was still passed out while I scarfed down a owl of Fruity Pebbles and turned the television off. I stuck a sticky note to the screen.

Going out tonight. Be back by 12.

I hesitated before adding: love you.

There were ten idle minutes before Aerin called me.

“I’m outside. I think…”

When I got into the car his eyes went wide. “What did you do to your hair?”

I smirked.

I entered history hesitantly (is there any other way for me anymore?).

Jayden was sitting in my desk, evoking a scowl. He just smiled as I approached.

“Could you please get up?” I asked, inclining my head softly. His smile grew as I let my stuff drop onto the desk heavily.

“No, I don’t think I could. Well, maybe. But it’ll cost you.”

Oh brother… “What’s your price?”

He leaned over with his elbows on the desk and his fingers laced. “A kiss, m’dear. in return, the custody of your seat,” he proposed in a rich British accent.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms, mildly amused. “Dude, get up.”

He leaned back, the grin still on his face and his arms still crossed cockily. “I’ve named my price.”

“Jayden, seriously! I… I’ll sit on you!”

He burst out laughing. “Go right ahead doll,” he told me, patting his leg.

“Fine,” I huffed, grabbing my books. “I’ll just go sit in your seat.”

Jayden sat up, the humor draining from his face. “Jan…” he trailed, his tone warning.

I ignored him and walked to the back. His seat was at the end of the second to last row, in the middle of his friends. As much as the thought of sitting there riled up my inner (excuse me) hot-tempered bitch. I knew Jayden wouldn’t let this game go too far.

The guys gave me an angled look as I sat down but confusion gave way to shrugs as I smiled and pulled them into conversation. This lasted for all of about, oh, ten seconds.

“Get up,” Jayden growled softly from beside me.

As I slid past him I couldn’t help but acknowledging what was always known: he was my protector from all but himself.