Chapter Five

*****One of my favorite Chapters. "Pain" by Three Days Grace and "Jasey Rae" by All Time Low [Video on side]. I picked Teddy Geiger to play Aerin (Picture on side)*****

****EDITED BY LOVEHYMN****

I called home after school and told my dad I was spending the night at a friend’s. I also told him I had broken up with Jayden so they didn’t have to be all buddy-buddy anymore. He didn’t have to continue his little show. I wondered why he did in the first place anyway.

When everything was done, I caught the bus to the north side of town and wandered the streets a bit, window shopping. There was an awesome little teen shop that fit well with our minimum wage salaries. When I walked in they were playing ‘Pain’ by Three Days Grace.

“…You’re sick, of feeling numb

You’re not, the only one

I’ll take, you by the hand

And I’ll show you a world

That you can understand…”

I instantly went to the music selection. They had a lot of regular pop (i.e. Lady Gaga or Ke$ha) but I went past all that into the punk/pop section. I hunted for some Cartel or Augustana or All Time Low. I had to remind myself I had no money left with me, and I’d had to ask Aerin for some bus fare.

I kept browsing. The first CD I looked at was by Cartel, then another by All Time Low. I figured I could come back and get them on my next pay day.

“Oh well,” I thought aloud as I put the CDs back.

“May I help you, Miss?” someone asked from behind me.

I jumped and whipped around. “Huh?” My second reaction was, “Oh my gosh! You’re stalking me.”

Aerin’s face was contorted by shock. “January? What? No. I work here.”

I glared at him, not quite believing until I saw the name tag pinned on his fleece button up. “Oh. Sorry. I was actually just looking. I don’t have money on me right now.” I smiled sheepishly and tried to duck out of the store. He caught my arm.

“I could get them for you. I mean, I have some credits from working here.” He smiled, which was a rare treat. It was the kind of smile that could warm a room, the kind of smile only people who never smile have.

“I couldn’t. I… I….” I stuttered.

“Jan, it’s fine. You can pay me back.” He looked deep into my eyes.

“Well, if you put it that way…” I grabbed the CDs and followed him to the counter. While he was ringing up the total he caught me eyeing a small black and red pinstripe pillow. He slid it in with the CDs.

“Aerin,” I protested. “I can’t possibly afford splurging and keeping this under budget.” I said, speaking the completely truth. My boss was a firm believer in minimum wage. And underscheduling.

He just smiled again and handed me a black biodegradable shopping bag filled with purchases. “Just think of it as a reward.”

“For what?”

“Dumping Jayden," he said. My heart jumped at the name, I don’t know why. I think it sparked a little fear.

“Oh. Cool,” I chuckled nervously. “Uh, I’m going to….” I pointed to the door hoping the gesture would replace the words I was having issues voicing.

“Go,” he finished for me. “Yeah. And I'm going to get back to work. I’ll see you tomorrow or something.”

The doorbell jingled as I scrambled out of the store. I shivered at the sudden cold breeze which hit my face. Winter has been a lot like Jayden; You can’t possibly ignore it and it just sent chills to your bones.