Chapter Thirteen [Part One]

Trayce shot some mashed potatoes at me. He barely missed and it ended up landing on Aerin’s hand. Aerin stopped mid-sentence and stared at the food blankly while Trayce and I burst out into uncontrollable hyena-like laughter.

“Real nice,” Aerin snided and shook the mashed potato off his hand onto the brown paper bag.

I apologized and wiped laughter induced rears from my eyes.

“Sorry man,” Trayce snorted. “I wasn’t aiming for you. I was trying to hit Jan.”

Aerin sighed and wiped off the rest of the food. “Do I even want to know?”

“Probably not but it is pretty funny.” Trayce smirked at my protesting scowl before he opened his mouth to continue. No words came out though.

“Hey guys. Could I talk to Jan for a second?” The firmness of Jayden’s voice sent chills up my spine. Not because it was harsh but because it was surprising. I hadn’t expected him to talk to me when Aerin was around.

Before I could excuse myself Aerin growled, “No.”

Jayden looked at Aerin with anger lightly streaking his eyes. “I don’t think it’s your decision.”

Aerin’s fingers were digging into the table. He looked up, barely masking the raw hate on his face. I’m not sure if he ever really hated Jayden but it seemed that the emotion was being cultivated right now. “I don’t think she needs to go anywhere with you.” His voice leaked a low warning: back the hell off.

Jayden snapped and hit the base of his hands on the table. He was leaning over so he was eye level with Aerin. “Listen. You are not her voice. You are a little bleep on her radar. Don’t think you mean anything to her.”

Aerin’s eyes flashed with hurt. Before he could muster up a comeback I jumped in.

“I’ll go.” I touched Aerin’s shoulder. His muscle twitched under my fingers but I could feel his tension ease down. When I stood to follow Jayden, though, Aerin grabbed my wrist.

“Don’t,” he whispered.

“Aerin, I’ll be fine,” I reassured him.

His eyes pleaded with me but he sighed and let go. “Could you stay here? At the end of the table?”

“No,” Jayden shot him down.

Aerin looked at me with eyes that begged me to stay. “Jan….”

I shook my head. “I’ll be fine,” I repeated.

Jayden motioned for me to follow him to the doors leading to the gazebo. I sighed and shadowed him.