Chapter 8: Everyone needs a flashback

(Natsu POV)

"So what happened over the past 10 years?" asked Lucy.

*Flashback*

It was a little over 6 years ago. I was about 15 years old then or I think so. It was so long I didn't even know the date anymore. Though I did keep a tally on my cell wall.

"Ow" Said someone.

"Shut up kid you're a hostage now" Said a kidnapper.

That kid was thrown into the cell next to mine. Then the kidnapper locked the cell door and left.

"Ow" said the kid. He had a bad cut on his ankle and it was bleeding like crazy.

I ripped a piece of my shirt and said "here to cover up the wound".

I passed it through the gate. He tied it around his ankle and said "thanks".

"So what's your name kid?" I said.

"My name is Romeo" he said.

"I'm Natsu" I said.

A week later we had already become great friends. I taught him how to avoid things like excessive torture (you only got that if you talked back), smuggling food through the walls and other good tips for surviving here.

"Hey Natsu how long have you been here?" Romeo asked.

"About four years" I responded.

"So have you tried to escape?" He asked me.

"No I haven't" I replied

For the next few months I was planning to escape with Romeo.

I found a way through the air vents. Since I knew every guard post, I could easily sneak past them. But with Romeo that would be another story.

"Psst, Romeo" I say.

"Yeah, what?" Romeo replied.

"I found a way to escape" I said.

His eyes gleamed with excitement at the moment I said that,

"Really? You're kidding!" He whisper-yelled eagerly.

"I would never joke about something this big, bud" I smiled

"In fact we can escape tonight!"

By now Romeo was shaking with anticipation and excitement.

"Yeah let's do it" he said.

A few minutes later I found I bobby pin on the floor. Using it I unlocked my cage and afterwards unlocked Romeo's.

"Thanks" He said.

Okay now we have to through the air vents. We both fit easily into the vents and started to crawl through it.

After a few minutes of this, we found the exit. We carefully crawled through it and plopped to the bottom of the floor.

"Ow" He moaned.

"Shush, we're almost there" I told him.

"Ha! We found you!" Said a voice. I looked behind me. There stood a very tall man with an ax in his hand.

Then he started to chase us. After a long time he finally caught me. He drew his ax into my shoulder. I fell to the ground. I couldn't move anymore. I was in too much pain.

"Ahh! Run Romeo!" I yelled pointing towards the exit.

"Natsu I can't just leave you!" He shouted back.

"Just do it! It's the only way you'll live!" I screamed in pain.

"Okay!" He said crying. "I'll never forget you Natsu!"

That was the last time I saw Romeo. Soon after he escaped I passed out.

I woke up in a dark, cold room days later. There was a man sitting next to me.

"Kid you're strong" said the man. "I'm here to take you to the Academy"

I was very familiar with the Academy, it was an underground mercenary school, where they trained assassins and spies. They wanted to trading the younger generation so kidnappers sell their child hostages to them for training.

"I don't want to go" I said.

"We will kill your family if you don't" He said.

I knew they would. I've heard so many stories about the kids who refused to go and their families.

"Okay"

The next four years of my life were spent training and assassinating and spying. I rose to the top of the class and I learned many languages including Russian, Arabic and Chinese. They branded the number 74 and gave me a new name. 74. I was number 74.

But they did keep true to their word, they never murdered my family or friends. Then one day a familiar face showed up. It was no other that Gildarts, a government agent and Cana's, my childhood friend, dad.

Together him and I rescued hostages around the world.

*End of Flashback*

"Please I'd rather not talk about it" I responded.

"Oh I see" she said.

"Hey Lucy don't tell anyone I'm back" I said.

"Okay I promise I won't" She promised.