Chapter 43: Postpartum Depression

Somewhere in the barren land of Costa Rica. July 14, 2025.

"Which room is it?" I hiss.

"How the hell should I know?" Tori snaps, looking down the hall. "The last time I was here I was drugged and more concerned with getting out."

I roll my eyes, hands shaking. Tori gestures for us to start moving down the hall. I run towards her and lean on her.

"You know, when the hall is this empty in a movie that means that something bad is going to happen." Rachel whispers.

"What are we going to do if people show up?" Sam asks.

"Shoot and don't miss." Jason suggests.

"Run and scream." Jazz adds.

"Pull a Black Widow." Tori loads her gun, peaking her head around the corner.

"I don't have the thighs or the energy to pull that off."

Tori looks down the hall and her back tenses beneath my stomach. "I recognize this hall."

"They all look the exact same."

"Shut up." Tori walks down the hall, her eyes darting around. "This one!" She puts her hand on one of the white doors.

"Three Five Seven Two." Jazz says quickly, glancing around.

Tori brushes her hand over the door and a virtual blue keyboard appears. She types in the numbers that Jazz gave her and the door slides open. A man in a lab coat and his already big eyes widen behind his thick glasses.

"Who- you can't be in here!"

Tori lifts her gun and shoots. The man's head snaps back and he falls to the floor. Tori swallows and looks back at me.

"Sorry."

The room isn't much to look at. Monitors outline the room, only breaking to let the giant super computer to be accessed. The computer screen shows different stats, whatever the doctor was looking at is now cover by the thin layer of his blood on the pristine screen. But it's the same room that I saw from earlier.

I look around the room and see someone sitting in a glass cage, covered in a thin blue hospital gown. She's curled up into tight ball, her long, knotted blonde hair covering her body like a blanket. The only thing by the cage is a holographic keyboard and a red light above it.

Tori grabs Jazz and pulls her towards the now bloodied control panel.

"Find her." Tori growls.

"She can be anywhere. I don't-"

"WW-11-2017-002. See if something pops up." Jazz quickly starts typing and words filter across the screen. "Download whatever you can. As much as you can."

"Everything? I'll have to double check that they don't have any hidden cookies or viruses."

"Do whatever the hell you need to do. Just get it all on the flash drive."

Jazz pulls a flash drive out of her back pocket and shoves it into the USB on the computer. I walk back over to the door and peak out, making sure that no one is coming down the hall with guns, trying to shoot us.

Or take us.

Experiment on us?

Oh my God we have to find Iz and Anika and get out of here before anyone finds us.

Tori sets the gun down and walks over to the girl in the glass cage. She bends down next to the girl and knocks on the glass.

"Tori, I'm not even sure she's breathing." Jason looks over at Jazz, watching the computer screens.