Chapter 17: Dreams Are Only Projections of Reality

Jaco, Costa Rica. June 4, 2025.

"You just shot a man!" Jason yells.

Tori pauses to look at me. "And you just went surfing?"

"But you shot a man in the back like you were just eating Sunday breakfast!"

Sam swallows hard, looking pale.

"Sammy?" Rachel whispers, rubbing Sam's arm.

"Sorry... just... why are we looking at the dude?"

I stare at the man's body, blood pooling around the middle of his back where the bullet hole is.

"You shot him right in the middle." I whisper.

"Yeah. Because I'm just that good." Tori gives me a proud grin.

"We have to get rid of the body and get out of here. Someone's probably tracking him." Jazz whispers.

Tori nods. "Are you up for it?"

"Oh- uh- yeah. I'm fine. You're driving, right?"

"Yeah." Tori puts a gentle hand on Jazz's back for support.

Jazz waves her hand and the body disappears. Her hand snaps up and she grabs onto Tori's wrist. She sways a little and nearly falls over. Tori puts a hand on Jazz's waist and props her up.

"What the hell?" Rachel whispers.

"Jazz?" I take a step forward and put a hand on her arm. "Are you okay?"

"Just tired." She looks pale. "I-I think I need to sit down." Jazz starts to go down to the floor.

"No, no, no, no." Tori pulls Jazz back up. "We have to keep moving."

"I know, I know. I'm just... so tired."

"Get on my back and we'll keep moving."

Jazz leans into Tori, her eyes slipping closed. "I'm tired. Just let me sleep."

Tori quickly picks up Jazz bridal style and gives me a small smile.

"Let's get going."

"What's wrong with her?" I ask as Tori starts to walk away.

I quickly follow, pulling Jason along with me.

"She's tired."

"But why?" Sam asks. "She was fine two seconds ago."

"A lot of magic drains her." Tori replies simply, stepping over the wall. I quickly scramble over the wall and put a hand on Tori's back.

"Wait, so she's physically draining herself to do this?"

"Yeah, but just drop it. We need to move fast."

Tori quickly moves to the car and tries to open the passenger door. Sam opens it for her and helps her set Jazz down in the seat.

"Everyone in the car." Jason says quickly.

I guide Rachel into the car and crawl in after her. Rachel settles her wet head in my lap and she curls up into a little ball. Jason gets in the seat in front of Rachel and Sam gets in next to him.

Tori quickly pulls away from the beach, her hands gripping the steering wheel. Jason leans forward and puts his hands on the back of Jazz's chair.

"You can lean back if you want to."

Jazz waves her hand in the air while adjusting her position in the chair. Jason grabs ahold of the lever on the side of the seat and leans her back.