Chapter 20: Yes, Blood is Thicker but You Need Water to Survive

Bryant House. November 11, 2017.

I bound up the stairs, growing more anxious with each passing second. I know that I told Tori to be ready by 9:30 because I knew that she wouldn't be ready by 10:00 but it's five minutes till 10:00 and she's still not ready. We can't be late to the first dance competition of the year!

I skip the last two steps and walk towards her partially opened door. I bring my hands up to knock before barging inside incase Tori doesn't have clothes on but pause just before I do, hearing voices coming from the inside. Jason's downstairs so it can't be him. Her phone is charging so it's definitely not a phone call.

I bite my lip, knowing that I'm going to have to eavesdrop on her. This is such a bad parent move.

I grab the doorknob and put my ear against the cool white wood.

"Why are you putting makeup on?" Iz asks.

"Because I was told to." Tori replies simply, setting something down.

"But why?"

"Because some people think that makeup makes you look prettier."

"Does it?"

"Well it depends. I don't think that make up is prettier but it does make you look a little nicer."

"Is that why Momma is always wearing it?"

I put a hand to my cheek. I don't wear that much. Just some eyeliner occasionally or when we go to family things.

Wait.

Does it even matter?

I roll my eyes and turn my focus back to the conversation.

"Nah. Sometimes people wear makeup because they want to impress someone they love."

"So she wears makeup for Daddy?"

"I dunno. You'll have to ask her."

"Do you wear makeup to impress anyone?"

"You ask a lot of questions."

It grows quiet for a few seconds with only the sound of Tori's makeup moving around to fill the silence.

"Do you?"

Tori slams something on a table and I jump, afraid that she knows I'm at the door, hanging onto every word.

"Yeah." Tori finally sighs.

"What's his name?"

"Her name is Melanie. But she likes being called Jazz."

"Why?"

"It's kinda like you don't like being Izabella or Izzy. "

"Ohh. So she likes being called Jazz?"

"Yep."

"Is she your best friend?"

"She's my girlfriend actually."

I hold my breath, waiting for Iz to say something that could potentially offend Tori. But nothing happens.

"Okay!" I let out a little breath of relief, actually grateful that Rachel is into all of her LGBTQ friendly shows.

The conversation quickly moves on to Tori's dance competition as Tori finishes up her makeup. This seems like the perfect time to knock on the door. I peek my head in using the door incase Tori throws something. Tori throws her eyeliner down and turns around, her eyes wide.

I smile at her makeup, proud that I was able to teach her how to apply concealer and eyeliner in two weeks. Tori's eyes dart to the floor and she hides her hands behind her back.