Chapter 13: Takes About Four Thousand Newtons to Break a Bone

Jaco, Costa Rica. June 4, 2025.

I sit up with a start then quickly realize that was a bad idea. My neck cracks in four different places, the consequence of being forty and falling asleep in a bathtub with no back support. I roll my neck around, trying my best to get rid of the knots but to no avail.

With a reluctant grunt, I haul myself out of the nasty tub, a few more joints cracking in protest. A few more bones decide to crack, liberating my body of the aching stiffness.

I crawl out of the bathroom with as much dignity as I can manage, not wanting Rachel to make fun of me in whatever way she can manage.

But no one seems to notice me.

Not that it matters but it would be nice if Sam stopped inhaling his food for a second or Jason stopped reading whatever book he's on to ask where I was. I would like it even more if Rachel said something to me but she seems occupied with whatever's in her hands. Tori brushes past me, not even bothering to give me some type of acknowledgement.

Jazz is the only nice one in this damned house, giving me a friendly smile, looking away from her computer.

"Hey, Mrs. Bryant. Have a nice night?"

A scowl is the first reaction that I'm able to push out, not really knowing how to respond. "It was fine."

Jazz's shoulders slump. "Oh, uh, that's nice." She looks between her collection of leaves and twigs on the floor and Tori who has busied herself at the old wobbly wooden table in the kitchen.

The only available seat in the house is next to Rachel. I roll my eyes and walk over to Rachel. She doesn't look up at me, writing something in her book. I plop down next to her, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Addison." She snarls.

"Rachel." I snarl right back.

"You two are terrible at fighting." Tori sighs. "At least try to come up with fascinating insults so I won't be bored."

"Why are you even pissed?" Sam ask with a mouth full of food.

"You don't ask a woman that!" Jason snaps.

"Well, Addison, at least I'm not so low that I sleep in a bathtub." Tori tries to mimic Rachel, musing over her papers.

I glare over at her, scowling.

Sam swallows down his mouthful of rice. "It's an honest question."

"Maybe it's the full moon." Rachel replies, void of emotion.

A deep growl comes from behind me.

"I have an idea!" Jazz jumps up, quickly trying to change the conversation. "Why don't we go to the beach?"

I sit up. "The beach? I thought we were supposed to be looking for our daughters!"

"You all need to chill first. I'm not going to raid a fucking lab with you four having a possibility of shooting one another." Tori writes something on the paper in front of her.

"Are you even trying to look for them?" Jason ask, throwing his book to the side.

Tori slams her head on the table. "I'm debating on killing myself right now."

"Let's just go before it gets too late." Jazz laughs awkwardly. "And we should probably pack too."

"Pack what? We haven't done shit! There's nothing to pack." Rachel snarls.

"Put on swimsuits before I slap one of you."

"I'm sorry. We didn't pack for a vacation!"

Jazz snaps her fingers then suddenly I feel very naked. I look down at body and somehow I've managed to change into a dark green swimsuit. I gasp and quickly cross my hands over my chest and stomach.