Chapter 6: Love is Definitely NOT a Science

Belmont High. March 7, 2016.

I pace in front of Rachel, chewing on my nail. Rachel's eyes follow me as if she's a small child waiting impatiently to be scolded even though in this situation Rachel is clearly ready to scold me.

"So why do you get to be the all powerful mother here?"

"That's not what I'm saying."

"It sounds like it."

"I'm just saying that someone needs to make these sound decisions."

"And you get to be the person who does that?"

I stop and stand in front of Rachel. She just gives me a devious smile and opens up her laptop.

"You're a little butt."

"I'm a better mother than you," she taunts.

I slam my hands on her desk, causing her to flinch away from her laptop. "Excuse me? You honestly think that you're a better mother than me?"

"Well, according to Tori, I'm the grandma out of all the teachers."

"I don't think that's a good thing. Besides, according to Tori, I'm the mother out of all the teachers so I win." I sit on her desk, giving her an award winning smile.

"That doesn't equal winning! I'm the grandma!"

"You're only the grandma because you give them food."

"Well- I-uh- I still- uh-" Rachel's face grows red as she becomes flustered and she stumbles over her words. I cross my arms over my chest, proud with my new victory, "She talks to me more!"

I slide off the desk. "Are we really going down that road?"

"If it means that I get to take care of her then yes."

"I don't get why we're arguing about this!"

"Because you brought it up!"

"When?"

"When you walked in!"

"I asked who wants to take care of Tori."

"And it should be me."

"I don't think that Sam would want to do that."

"And Jason does?"

"I can force him into it."

"And I can force Sam."

I roll my eyes. "We shouldn't even be arguing about this. We're not even her parents."

"But we're clearly better parents than her mother is. We pay for her lunches, take her to school, help her with homewo-" She pauses and knocks on her desk. "We have to do that anyway but you get my point."

"I do. So why don't we all take care of her. Instead of just one crappy mom she can have two moms and two dads who are sort of decent."

"I say that we're damn good parents." Rachel smiles.

"But someone has to be the official parent."

Rachel opens her mouth, ready to argue with me again. I open my mouth, ready to argue right back.

I can hear the door let out an irritated squeal as someone pulls it open. The room fills with noise and music from outside, drowning out Rachel's words. Quickly clamping my mouth shut as to avoid being heard by a student who had no business knowing what Rachel and I were talking about, I turn my head to see if I'm allowed to continue my conversation.