Chapter 27: Human Migration Lead to Human Evolution

San José. June 9, 2025.

I roll over and stretch my arm out, feeling for Jason. Coming up with empty sheets, I sit up. Jason sits on the edge of the bed, tying his shoes.

"What are you doing?" I croak, my throat as dry as sandpaper.

"Getting dressed. What are you doing?" He finishes tying his shoes and looks over at me with a goofy half smile.

"Sleeping." I smile, basking in the warm glow of the summer sun streaming through the window.

"You should probably get dressed. We need to head downstairs. And you probably want to check on Rachel."

I groan, pushing myself up, keeping the sheet over my breast. "Do you think Tori has Advil? Rach is probably going to have a headache."

"Get dressed. I'm sure Tori has something." Jason grabs my clothes that he has neatly folded.

I grab my bra that he has placed on top. Jason drops the rest of the clothes next to me as I slip on my bra. Next, I hit my underwear, then jeans, then my shirt. I then pull my socks and shoes on, running a hand through my knotted hair.

"Do you think she's mad at me?"

"I don't even think she remembers what happened." He puts a hand on my shoulder and gives it a small squeeze. I weakly smile up at Jason before pushing myself off the bed.

Jason grabs my hand and leads me outside. We click down the stairs and Jason opens up the door for me.

Tori pops up from the couch, causing Rachel's feet to violently fall on the ground. Rachel groans, her torso following her legs.

"What in the name of-"

"Addie! Where the hell were you two?" She steps over Rachel and rushes towards us. "I was looking for you all night." She throws her arms around our shoulders. "I thought they took you."

I wrap my free arm around Tori's waist and set my chin on her shoulder. My eyes watching as Rachel pull herself up and curl up on the couch. Jason quickly comforts the redhead, telling her that we were just upstairs.

I gently pull away from Tori and walk over to Rachel, hesitation in each step.

"Rachel?'

"Addie." She groans, stretching her hand out for me. I grab it, kneeling down next to her. Setting a hand on her cheek, I brush her hair out of her face. "I'm sorry. I was being stupid."

"So was I." I smile. "How's the hangover?"

Rachel groans, burying her face into the couch cushions. "It's like Athena is pounding her way out of my skull."

I laugh. "Only if I knew what that meant."

"Sammy does."

"Did you take Advil?"

"I can't find anything." Sam responds for her. "We might need to go and buy some."

"Or we can wait it out." Tori suggest. My head snaps up, ready to chew her out but I freeze, mouth open, when I see the fear in her eyes. "Waiting it out seems like the best option. We-We can't go outside."

"Can't go-?"

"There are lab coats." Jazz answers, glancing up from her laptop. "It's too dangerous right now. Especially in broad daylight."

I look over at Tori, hoping that she can explain but she looks too terrified, her face as white as a sheet. She takes a step back, ramming her back and head into the door. Her small chest heaves in a quiet panic so quickly that it's causing me to panic.