Chapter 5: Life is a Science Experiment

Bryant House. May 22, 2025.

"We should go."

"Why? We don't even know if she's telling the truth!" Jason throws his arms wide.

"I trust her. I've never not trusted her." My voice is unnaturally calm. I'm unnaturally calm. Jason shakes his head and leans on the counter. He bites his lip, letting out a little frustrated sigh. I shift on the barstool, the fat of my legs peeling off the leather.

"What do Rachel and Sam say about this?"

"I don't know." I shrug. "But... what happens if there's something wrong with her? She's- She's getting hurt. You saw what happened to Tori after she got back. She looked horrible. She was horrible. They had to put her in an asylum, Jason. An asylum for God's sake. It's probably gotten worse by now for Iz."

"I know that you're scared but we can't trust her."

"We did trust her." I cock my head to the side, my eyes growing wide. "Don't you remember that?"

Jason shakes his head with a frustrated groan. "This is stupid. We shouldn't even be arguing about this."

"You're completely right. We shouldn't be arguing about this." I push myself away from the island, crossing my arms over my chest. I wipe away at my unshed tears, trying to curl up into a ball. "This is the best hope that we've had in- in years." My voice cracks. "Do you really want to throw that away?"

"Addie, come here." Jason moves towards me, opening his arms wide. I move into his warm embrace, setting my head on his chest, keeping my arms crossed. Jason sets his chin on the top of my head, rubbing my back.

"I-I have to do this. I have to- to find her."

"I know." He rubs my shoulder. "Trust me, I know."

The front door swings open and I pull away from Jason. Rachel barges in, eyes blazing with fire.

"We're not going, right? Tell me that we're not going because this is a stupid idea."

"I think that we should go." Sam mumbles, looking down at the floor.

"You agree this is stupid, right?" Rachel asks, looking at me with wide, incredulous eyes.

I bite my lip, looking at the floor. "I think that we should consider all options."

"You can't be serious." Rachel glances at Jason. "She can't be serious."

"I think that she's completely serious." Jason rubs my back, trying to comfort me.

"We have to try."

"We have to- are you insane?"

There's a knock on the door and I jump. Rachel's head snaps around and she glares at the door.

"Are you having a party?" Rachel growls through gritted teeth.

"Don't think so." I move away from Jason and walk to the door. I slowly open the door and peek my head out. A young woman stands there, her arms crossed over her chest. She quickly drops her arms and runs a hand through her curly, dark brown hair.

"Oh, uh, hey? I didn't think that you would actually answer the door." She gives me a nervous laugh.

"Who- Who are-?"

"Jazz." She sticks out her hand so I can shake it. "You probably don't remember me. You used to teach me a while back. At Belmont."

"Uh- yeah. Just-uh-" I rub my face with my hand, trying my best not to scream. I haven't seen Jazz in years. "What are you doing here?"