Chapter 3: Sharks Are Gentle If You Don't Provoke Them

Belmont High, CA. May 19, 2025.

I continue with my lecture on saving water, watching as more and more kids slowly get bored.

"Just kind of think about that." I finish, pressing play on the video. A few students come to attention, probably so they can get the answers to the worksheet that I handed out. Other kids continue to whisper to one another, giggling about something stupid.

The video continues going on about how humans didn't adapt to where freshwater was; they made freshwater adapt to them, destroying the Earth as they did. Then I pause it again.

"Have a good day!" I yell. Someone turns on the light and all the kids flee.

"Mrs. Bryant?" I look up at Maya, one of my students.

"Hey! What can I do for you?" I step around the podium to make it look like I'm into the conversation.

"I was wondering what I can do about my missing work?"

"You were absent, right?"

"Yes. I wanted to ask about the worksheet."

I set my glasses down on the plastic podium next to me, "You don't need to worry about that. That was only worth like," I spread my arms open a little. "Five points. What you need to focus on are the shark labs. Those are very important. Some people still haven't turned those in and they're worth twenty points."

"So just turn in the shark labs?"

"Yeah." I nod, "But also the other worksheet."

"Okay. Thank you, Mrs. Bryant." Maya waves, jogging out of my classroom. The door slams shut and I flinch.

"You're welcome." I whisper, hating the fact that I'm now alone. I quickly grab a stack of ungraded papers and set my glasses on top of my head, heading out of my room. Walking down the courtyard in my usual- hopefully- confident stride, I easily dodge the passing students who part like the Red Sea. A few give me acknowledging nods but I pretend that I don't see them, not wanting to talk to any kids for the next hour and five minutes. I swing the door open to the MPR- my school's version of an auditorium- and let the few seconds of peace and quiet engulf me before I walk to the teachers lounge.

In the far corner next to the coffee machine, I see Ms. Arenas and Ms. Iglesias gossiping in Spanish while getting their coffee before they have to go deal with one of the four freshmen classes. In the opposite corner, I see Rachel sitting by herself and staring out the window. Teachers around her who are trying to savor the last few minutes of freedom cast my friend a few uneasy glances. They talk in hushed whispers as if something that they're saying will offend the small woman. Something they're saying probably will offend the small woman.

I quickly walk over to the table and set myself down next to Rachel. The teachers quickly stop looking at my best friend when my cold glare settles on them.

"How was your weekend?" I settle into the chair and slide my papers into a more comfortable position for me to grade.

That's a dumb question. I know what you did over the weekend. Grabbing my pen, I start clicking it without meaning to. I try to tell myself to stop but it only works for a second.

"Do you think that Anika would've liked it here?" She whispers in her soft Jersey accent, picking up her red pen and looking down at the table, seeming to not want the question answered.

"I think that she will love it here." I grab Rachel's free hand. "We are going to find her. Both of them."

Rachel shakes her head and pulls her hand away. "Whatever."