Better Latte Than Never (Epilogue: Part 2)

Okay, everyone. A few readers requested further information on Briana and Chloe, and what could have possibly been going on there, so, here is a second brand spanking new epilogue. Hope you enjoy ;-D 

.

EPILOGUE: Part 2

.

Standing on the wraparound deck with several others milling about, she peered through the glass door while sipping from a flute of mimosa. Although it was her second glass, the bit of champagne mixed with a premium orange juice hadn't done much to settle her nerves. Heart on the verge of escaping her chest, from that vantage point Chloe could observe the blonde eating melon balls from a fruit platter within the kitchen. Currently, she was alone, so this was her chance. She had to speak to her before she misplaced what little courage she had left.

Taking another sip, she headed toward the door with much determination. On the other side of it two seconds later, she quickly stepped toward the kitchen, lightly clearing her throat to alert the other woman of her presence. The moment she turned around, the left side of her cheek bulging due to the yet to be chewed cantaloupe within, Chloe could have melted while staring into those mesmerizing green eyes.

"Are the balls tasty?"

Face riddled with sudden befuddlement, Briana arched an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

Mentally smacking herself on the side of the head, Chloe pointed toward the platter filled with watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, and green and red grapes. "Those...the fruit. I haven't tasted any yet. Are they good?"

"Oh. Yes." Nodding, Briana commenced chewing. "Sweet and juicy."

Managing to contain the groan, Chloe clutched the edge of the bar as she recalled something else she found sweet and juicy. It had been three months and eight days since the last time she indulged in it. Get your mind out of the gutter and on the conversation! Eyes sweeping over Briana dolled up in a dress that showed off gorgeous legs, strong from hours upon hours of tennis, she felt the longing deep within.

She hadn't missed her. Saying she missed Briana wouldn't quite cover it, as she deemed that phrase inconsequential in describing her feelings. She had...it was so grand that the words may not have existed. A sigh passing through her lips, Chloe drank from her flute, too nervous, too anxious to actually taste its contents any longer. Staring at her with an unreadable expression, Briana used her teeth to pull a rounded piece of honeydew from a toothpick. "How are you?"

Briana swallowed before replying. "I'm good. You?"

How on Earth could she be good when Chloe felt crushed from the inside? Adopting a pleasant smile, she nodded. "Same." Truthfully, she felt about as good as a bleeding person stuck in a rowboat without a paddle surrounded by hungry, tenacious sharks. She was about to compliment Briana on her outfit at the precise moment the blonde pointed toward her hair while speaking. Sharing a semi awkward laugh, each young woman tried convincing the other to continue. Finally, Chloe tried her compliment again.

"I was going to say that you look nice." She indicated the bridesmaid dress, which Briana's sisters also wore. "I've never seen you in a dress."

"Thanks. Haven't worn one since I was four. Sonny forced me to break my record." When Chloe chuckled, she smiled. "You were talking about getting your hair cut last year. I see you finally went through with it. It was my opinion that you would look phenomenal with a short 'do, and I was correct. That's my covert way of saying I told you so." Briana winked while Chloe blushed.

"Thank you, Bri." Reaching up, she nervously patted the top of her head. "Initially, I was going to get it done yesterday--the day before the wedding--but then I decided to make my appointment earlier, so it wouldn't look like I just got my hair cut, you know? So, I went last Monday. Now it looks like I recently got a haircut, but didn't wait until the last twenty-four hours, you know?" Does she know? Damn, do you know what you're talking about?