Caffeine Isn't a Drug, It's a Vitamin! (Eighteen)

• Dedicated to Mr. Friday

"Who's the pretty lady?" Chloe teasingly inquired in a voice much quieter than usual.

Chuckling, Jack turned toward her sister and took a seat in the chair next to her bed. Slipping her hand into her sister's, Jack looked at the younger woman with affection and love. She couldn't put into words just how much she had missed that voice.

"That's my new friend Sonny Campbell," Jack replied, brushing her thumb back and forth across Chloe's hand.

Chloe's thoughtful expression quickly turned into one filled with discomfort as she winced. When Jack asked if she needed the doctor, she carefully shook her head. "No, I'm just a little sore. Sonny Campbell...isn't she your competition?"

"Yes."

"And now she's your friend?"

Jack nodded, a small smile touching her lips. It was funny how things worked out sometimes. "Yes."

"That's...interesting," Chloe slowly replied, allowing heavy eyelids to shut. Just the little bit of conversing she had completed proved to cause her fatigue, and all she yearned to do was sleep. However, she soon realized that her big sister had other plans. Chloe inwardly sighed as Jack started in on a lecture about the dangers of driving while under the influence of alcohol.

"I know what I did was stupid," she interrupted. Opening one blue eye with some effort, she looked toward the seated woman. "I promise to never do it again." Closing that eye, Chloe took a deep breath, wincing in response to the pain shooting through her chest. She made a mental note not to do that again anytime soon.

"Chloe..." Jack started in a soft voice, "I can't lose you too." Her voice breaking, she lowered her head as hot tears of both relief and fear rolled down her cheeks.

Hearing the sobbing, Chloe's heart broke in two as she opened her eyes to watch her sister. She hadn't witnessed Jack crying in such a long time, that she failed to remember when the last time was. "Jack..." At a loss as to how to console her sister, she merely reached out a hand and placed it on Jack's shoulder, squeezing slightly. "Please look at me." Slowly raising her head, Jack followed her sibling's instructions while willing the tears to cease. "I'm not going anywhere." A teasing smile made its way to Chloe's lips. "You didn't think you'd be able to get rid of me that easily, did you? I'm gonna be a thorn in your backside for many many years to come. After all, it's my job as a little sister."

Breaking out in laughter, Jack patted the hand still resting on her shoulder. "You promise?"

Chloe's smile broadened. "I do."

Arising from her chair, Jack gently gave her sister a hug, feeling as Chloe slowly but surely returned it. The loving embrace seemed to last forever before Jack sat back down in her seat. Slipping her hand into Chloe's, she looked at her sister while gathering thoughts. "So, does this mean that you forgive me?" she finally asked in a quiet voice.

Silent for a few moments, Chloe then replied, "No, because there isn't anything to forgive. I'm the one who was irrational and stubborn and I should be apologizing to you. Jack, I treated you wrong and I said some horrible, hurtful things that I wish I could take back. You have shown me more love than anyone on this earth and look how I've repaid you. I'm so sorry," she finished in a whisper, eyes glistening.

Using her free hand, Jack reached over and pulled a tissue out of a box, gently dabbing at her sister's eyes. She softly smiled when Chloe thanked her for the gesture. "Tell you what? Why don't we leave all of that in the past and vow to make the future brighter, more peaceful?"

Chloe nodded, giving the hand she held a small squeeze. "That sounds like a plan to me." The weight settling back onto her eyelids, she fought to keep them open just a few moments longer. Looking into her sister's eyes she said, "No matter how much I might behave like a jerk... or you for that matter," Chloe slightly grinned, "I've always loved you and I always will."