I Like My Coffee Strong, Not Lethal (One)

Chapter One -- I Like My Coffee Strong, Not Lethal

Looking over her shoulder to make sure that the person lying next to her was asleep, the twenty-seven year old woman quietly slipped out of bed. She tiptoed towards the door and slowly but surely eased it open before slipping out and closing it behind her, breathing a sigh of relief, as she was able to successfully leave without her partner being aware.

Feeling along the wall for the light switch, Sonny found it and flipped it on so that she would not stub her toe as she had clumsily done so many times before. Ambling over to the desk, she took a seat, wincing as the computer chair creaked a few times with the weight. A mental note to myself. Need to purchase a can of WD-40. Pressing a key on the keyboard, Sonny began to smile as she was greeted with her desktop picture showing a litter of puppies sleeping in a big basket.

Positioning a hand over her mouse, she moved the tiny arrow on the screen to the AOL icon and clicked it. When the sign on screen appeared, Sonny typed in her password to log onto her screen name PerkyGrrl before clicking the enter button. Sitting back in the chair, she impatiently waited as she listened to the modem dial. Another smile appeared on her face within seconds of being welcomed online. Sonny's heart skipped a beat as she heard the male voice inform her that she had mail.

Moving the arrow to the mail icon, she clicked it. There were four new pieces of mail since the last time she checked it nearly six hours ago. One was from her best friend Sarah, two were pieces of spam that Sonny annoyingly deleted, and the last one was from her. The woman happily sighed, deciding to first click on Sarah's, beginning to read.

Hey girlfriend!

I just got in from my fiftieth (yes I know that I'm exaggerating) blind date that you set me up on. I know that I say this every time, but remind me to never let you set me up again. That guy was so boring, I would have preferred spending the evening watching paint dry! (laugh) He spent the whole night talking about stocks and bonds, how he likes to sell this and cash that out... Blah blah blah. Anyway, thanks for trying to help, but I'll take charge of my love life from here on out. (chuckle)

Anyway, the main reason I wrote you was to tell you this. Remember that building that they've been constructing across the street? Well, I found out what it is. Please don't faint. It's going to be a coffeehouse just like us when it opens and that's supposed to happen within a week or two. Seems like we have some real competition now. But the way I figure it, with you and I working side by side, no one can defeat us, babe. (smiling) Well, I'll see you tomorrow. Go get some sleep. You're on this computer way too much. (wink) Love ya.

Sarah

Sonny richly chuckled as she closed her friend's email. She should have known that Sarah and Dwayne would not be compatible. Oh well. At least she gave it a try. Meanwhile, Sonny would not worry about the impending arrival of the new coffeehouse. She felt fully capable of handling a little competition. It was no big deal. Sonny compared this to a baseball game. Anything they could throw, she could hit and make a home run for her team.

Smiling brightly, Sonny clicked and opened the remaining email from Blueyez. Not being able to wipe the silly smile off of her face, the young woman began to read after glancing at the bedroom door to make sure that it was still closed.

To My Special Friend,

Hello P.G. I hope this email finds you doing well. You know what my little sister said this morning? She told me that you and I should meet for our one-year anniversary. That we should celebrate by choosing a place to meet in real time. I laughed at the time, but I have to admit that I've been thinking about the prospect of us doing so all day long. I know we've never really talked about doing this before but what do you think? We live in the same city...it wouldn't be that hard to do so...Well, you let me know your thoughts on the idea. Whether we meet in real time or celebrate online doesn't really matter to me. As long as I'm with my favorite girl in the whole wide world *smiling*. Well I should be going now. Need to get some sleep because I have a busy day ahead of me. I'll talk with you later P.G. Sweet dreams.