Tea is -- Wait, What Did You Just Say? (Twenty-One)

After they finished eating, Jack washed the dishes before Sonny dried and put them away. When they were done, Sonny asked Jack if she would like some tea and started to make them both a cup after her friend said that she would. Walking over to the kitchen table, Jack took a seat before beginning to watch Sonny move around the kitchen. Grinning a little, she especially watched that behind while thinking how lucky those pants Sonny wore were.

Having the distinct feeling that she was being watched, Sonny started to blush as she poured steaming dark liquid into two mugs. While keeping her eyes on her task, she asked Jack if she would like anything in her tea.

"A little sugar would be nice." A slow grin curved Jack's lips. "I like my tea like my women. Sweet, soothing and oh so hot," she added in a low throaty voice.

Glancing over her shoulder, Sonny smirked at Jack though both the comment and the way it was spoken had affected her a great deal. She felt flushed from head to toe and those butterflies were moving around in her stomach again. Thinking it best to keep her mouth shut, she added a couple teaspoons of sugar to both of their mugs before stirring them vigorously. She stirred much longer than was needed because she wanted to give the blushing time to fade away before she allowed Jack to see her face.

Grabbing a mug in each hand, Sonny finally turned around and walked over toward the kitchen table, setting one of the mugs in front of Jack before taking the chair opposite to hers. Nodding when the brunette thanked her for the drink, Sonny brought her mug to her lips, blowing softly to help it cool faster. She made the mistake of glancing at Jack, noting that the woman's eyes were riveted to her puckered lips. Quickly relaxing them, Sonny took a cautious sip, setting her mug down on the table. She was about to say something when Jack started speaking.

"Is this more chamomile?" she asked.

Sonny shook her head. "No, it's just plain lemon tea. Do you need more sugar?" She could have smacked herself for the careless choice of words. She would have bet money on it that "Flirty Jack" would have a field day with the innocently asked question.

Jack inwardly grinned as she took her first sip of the tea while watching the expression on Sonny's face. Nah, I don't have the heart to say anything. She looks almost terrified. It was difficult...quite difficult, but she refrained. It was time to be more nice than naughty. "No, it tastes great already," Jack said in a pleasant voice. "Thank you though." She smiled, not commenting on the look of surprise that passed across the younger woman's face.

"You're welcome." Sonny shook her head a bit. Good thing I didn't put money on it. Never know what you're going to do, Jack. "Jack, I'd like to resume our conversation from the bathroom."

The brunette sat back in the chair, bringing her right leg up until her ankle rested on her knee. Arms folded across her chest, she curiously regarded Sonny. "What conversation was that?"

"The one about you deciding to close your coffeehouse. Are you still planning on doing that?" When Jack nodded, she went on to say, "Don't do it, Jack. You'd be making a mistake."

"I would?"

Sonny nodded. "Yes! First, think of all the people you would be putting out of work if you were to close down Brew 'n' Paradise. And think of all the people that live in that general neighborhood you would be disappointing if they couldn't get their daily coffee in the morning before going to work, school or wherever they're headed. A lot of people would be negatively effected by this decision. So you see you have to stay in business for the people."

Jack looked at the other woman curiously while thinking that she sounded like a politician. "You make a lot of sense, Sonny, but the employees I intend to layoff are all going to receive six months of severance pay, which is abundantly generous considering the coffeehouse isn't even that old. And the customers always have your coffeehouse to go to. I never should have built there and coaxed them over in the first place. It was wrong."